Help please!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alie

Reaction score
My aluminum pot turned black after we boiled water in it for about 45 minutes to try and seal it. We have had what looks like aluminum flacks in our brew. How can I stop this... please any help with this.

The "turning black" thing is what you're going for, you've created an oxide layer that should prevent the underlying aluminum from being eaten by acidic wort...

Cheers!

The aluminum pot turning black (dark gray actually) is correct. The gray oxide layer passivates (and protects) the underlying aluminum.

What do those "aluminum flakes" look like? How do you see them?
Can you post a picture, maybe, showing them?

While liquid is in a and stured up. I put a flashlight to the jar and can see tiny shinny dust particles swirling around. What makes me believe it's metal is it appears to be reflecting light....

I am confused about you saying the flakes are in your brew. Didn't you boil with just water in the pot the first time? Or are you saying you boiled with water 45 minutes and then later made a brew with the pot that has shiny flakes in it?

Yeah, I'm confused too as to what you did.

Can you outline your exact process for us? Where do you think those "metal flakes" come from?
Can you post a picture of the inside of the pot you used? Showing the top edge is also important, so we can see where the oxide layer ends.

Back