Help please!?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhardy3

Reaction score
My first cider batch came out drinkable and that was with juice and bread yeast(noob mistake I know) but I just tasted my second batch for the first time and I have a peroxide taste, it tastes very bad. So what I did was
10 cans of concentrate
1lb brown sugar
30 raisins
1 packet of Montrachet yeast

I let it ferment for a week and a half then rack to secondary to clear. I don't have a hydrometer yet so I couldn't take any readings. Please help me know what you think the problem is, there is no vinegar smell or anything though so I have no idea what it could be.

When you mentioned raisins I thought the same thing Regengades_Brew asked. To me, raisins that I buy in the store often have a mouth feel to them that suggests something is mixed with the raisins as maybe a preservative. Since I think cider calls for preservative free apple cider, maybe the raisins interacted badly with the fermentation process. What kind of raisins did you use?

I just used some raisins that are in a box. This sucks you guys are probably right because I did the same thing I did in my first batch just a larger batch. Well back to the drawing board I guess ill let it sit in secondary for another couple weeks and see if the flavor goes off.

Something you might try if you want to use raisins.

-Buy some red seedless grapes.

-Set the oven to Keep Warm (usually about 150 degrees)

-While the oven is warming up clean the grapes by using a 1/4 mixture of apple cider vinegar to 3/4 water.

-Just let them sit in the vinegar/water mixture. This is to remove any "fruit wax" that is applied to the fruit to keep it looking nice in the store.

-Put the grapes on a cookie sheet in the oven.

-Every hour or so flip them around to evenly "dry" them on every side.

To speed the process up you can cut the grapes in half

To speed it up even more blend the grapes to a pulp and spread thinly on an edged cookie sheet to make a fruit leather.

If you have a food dehydrator it would work much more effectively than the oven. But the oven can be used in a pinch.

However might I ask what flavor profile you wish to gain from using raisins?

I wasn't looking for any extra flavor I just didn't have yeast nutrient and heard you could sub some raisins in for them. I guess the slightly less efficient ferment would of been better than ruining the whole batch but whatever I'm still learning.

yeast nutrient is about $2 for enough to do a lot of batches..... I just bought the nutrient.

Revkev yea I realize it was dumb of me to use the raisins instead of yeast nutrient now but before I just had those anyway so I figured why not throw them in to help, normally I don't even use it.

It's in my basement and it has been getting cooler every day here, the nights have been around 55 so I'd say it was probably in the 60s.

Back