Help needed formulating the "perfect" cream ale..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raptorvan

Reaction score
hey guys, my gears have been turning over the last few days here and i am looking at doing a 10 gal batch of cream ale...partitioned off into 4 different ''test'' brews

i am looking for a recipe...since i have never brewed a cream ale (im mostly IPA stout and porter) i dont know what to look for...also, im not all that technical as to know which malts do exactly what so bare with me.

i would like a nice, smooth...sweet and full bodied brew...i say sweet because i have a couple things im trying that will need a sweet and creamy ale...

so far i have a butter pecan cream ale, orange creamcicle ale and black cherry pie ale...the 4th partition is just for drinking.

so what should i be looking for here? i dont really have a specific grain bill made yet but i will put it up asap.

OR

am i barking up the wrong tree? would something else work better for me? maybe an english mild with lactose added?

thanks

Nick

also, i will probably be using more subtal hops that wont alter the flavor of the beer but add a nice nose...MAYBE a little bittering to cut any sweet after notes...im thinking saaz and willamette.

a saaz at 60, willamette at 15 and another saaz at flame out...i like to smell the hops and then taste the beer and be thoroughly confused because it tastes like a creamcicle instead of an IPA...

Back