HELP - my yeast slurry froze

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etrain666

Reaction score
I collected a nice slurry from a farm house ale to be used in a new brew today. I collected it in a jar and placed it in my keezer. Well, I should have figured, the bottom of my keezer is pretty cold and I found a jar of frozen slurry today.

Can it be saved?

etrain666 said:
I collected a nice slurry from a farm house ale to be used in a new brew today. I collected it in a jar and placed it in my keezer. Well, I should have figured, the bottom of my keezer is pretty cold and I found a jar of frozen slurry today. Can it be saved?

It's certainly possible, yeast are pretty hardy little things, warm it up and make a starter and see what happens, it's the only way you'll know if they met their demise.....

I've frozen a couple by accident trying to drop the yeast to the bottom quickly. If you let it warm up to pitching temp you should be good to go.

I would not pitch this without making a starter first. You could have killed most if not all the yeast by freezing. Making a starter will let you know if you have any viable yeast left/

Back