Help me make some awesome IPA/IIPA's!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustangfreak

Reaction score
Ok, last weekend I made a large order (to me anyways) of hops, and now I need to make some IPA/IIPA's with them.

Here are the hops I bought.

Simcoe -16 oz
Cascade -8 oz
Centennial -4 oz
Chinook -4 oz
Citra -8 oz
Columbus -4 oz

I love IIPA's that are really balanced, I love lots of hops, but I want lots of malt as well. Like Hop Stoopid, I can't get enough of that beer!

I do extract and mini mash at the moment. Any help is appreciated!

I'd say 1.5oz each of Columbus,Centennial,& Cascade the last 25 minutes for flavor. Either Chinook or Columbus for bittering. And about 7lbs of some English style malts.

IPAs are my favorite style! I make them every other batch or so. I rarely make IIPAs (too high ABV for me, as I drink at least 3-4 beers a night) but I love them too!

A couple of things that are important. You want them to finish pretty dry, so that they aren't cloying. I like to use less crystal malt than in my APAS, and use a very attenuative American ale yeast. Firm bittering at 60 minutes, with plenty of flavor/aroma hops at 15, 10, 5, and flame out make a nice IPA. Simple sugars may help keep the beer from finishing at a too-high FG, especially with extract making up the bulk of the fermentables.

A simple grain bill, say:

6 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract
2 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
8.00 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt 40L

for an OG of 1.066 or so. I'd use no more than 1 pound crystal total in a 5 gallon IPA, and you could even go with much less or none.

For hopping, something simple like:

1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (60 min)
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (15 min)
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (5 min)
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (1 min)
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (Dry Hop 7 days)

That would give you a beer much like Bell's Two Hearted, an easy drinking IPA.

You could keep a similar grain bill, and maybe subbing a pound of corn sugar for some of the extract, and change up the hopping, and have a totally different beer. Some of the best IPAs I make are just base malt and a few ounces of something else, like biscuit malt, amber malt, etc.

For IIPAs, it's important to use sugar in place of some of the extract to keep the beer from becoming cloyingly thick and sweet. For an IIPA, target an OG of 1.080 and about 70-80 IBUs with lots and lots of late hops additions.

Some hops go together extremely well- simcoe/amarillo for one. But I also love centennial/cascade, chinook/centennial/cascade, and columbus/centennial for IPAs.

13 lbs 2-row
1 lbs C40
1 lbs CaraPils

1.5 oz Chinook @ 60
1.0 oz Columbus @ 45
0.5 oz Centennial @ 5
0.5 oz Cascade @ 5
1.0 oz Simcoe DH
1.0 oz Citra DH

Mash @ 152-154. Ferment with a fruity ale yeast like 1056 or 1272 and ferment on the high end. About 70-73. That will dry the beer out nicely and give you the perfect fruit notes. Should give you about 8-8.5% ABV and just at 100-105 IBUs per 5 gallons.

What else does Simcoe go well with? I don't have any amarillo. I updated my OP with the amount I have on hand.

I was surprised at how well the Columbus,Nugget,& Cascade worked together. It seems to me it's the combination of those that gave the orange flavor,over & above the usual flavors/aromas. That Centennial sounds good too. Waiting till 8/27 to have some of that IPA is killer,though.

10lb Maris Otter
1lb Special Roast
1lb Wheat malt

US-05/1056 yeast

This made a great IPA. I used a combo of simco/amarillo hops. The maris otter made all the difference for me personally.

Also, if you can get some, try Galaxy hops. They're absolutely amazing!

Latest posts

Back