Help me find a yeast, fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just brewed with 3711 and it's good, but too much phenol and not enough banana.

I want a yeast that will finish extremely dry, 1.006 or less, and will produce some banana flavor and some phenol flavor. I am finding it difficult to find one that will produce both. If it could leave the body 3711 leaves too that will be wonderful.

It doesn't have to flocc particularly well.

If you can recommend a yeast that can do this at a constant temp I would appreciate it. If you know of one I can use maybe at two different temps I would also appreciate that.

The only thing I can currently think of is using 3711 again, pitching around 80F and placing it in high 60sF. I figure that would take a day to a day and a half, so maybe I could get some 'nana that way. This method may be horribly misguided though.

If you're brewing in the saison style, which 3711 is perfect for, I'd say stick with that yeast and just ferment at the high end of the recommended range. The should give you some nice fruit and phenol flavors while still attenuating and floccuating like a champ.

Wlp550? It'll attenuate up to 85%. I made something similar to a saison and it worked great. Only went to 1.010, but that was with 83% attenuation with a bit of crystal in there

Neither 550 or 3711 will give you banana. I've used both at high temps. Great beers, but no banana.

I would look at wheat yeasts (I've no experience with them), and if they don't attenuate as far as you like, add some 3711 slurry after a week to get the gravity down a bit more.

Save the slurry from your current batch in mason jars (in the fridge), and you can use that.

Use Wyeast 3068 - Weihenstephan Weizen it's for a Hefe but might work strong banana flavor

Use Wyeast 3068 - Weihenstephan Weizen it's for a Hefe but might work strong banana flavor

At higher temps it will certainly throw the bananas but you won't get the attenuation you are looking for. You might be able to sub some sugar for other fermentables in your recipe to dry it out.

Neither 550 or 3711 will give you banana. I've used both at high temps. Great beers, but no banana.

I would look at wheat yeasts (I've no experience with them), and if they don't attenuate as far as you like, add some 3711 slurry after a week to get the gravity down a bit more.

Save the slurry from your current batch in mason jars (in the fridge), and you can use that.

That's a really good idea.

After looking around, I think a wheat is the way to go.

Back