Help me decide on what yeast to use for a Columbus IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BxBrewer

Reaction score
Columbus IPA OG around 1.060 "extract with steeping grains". My plan was to use WY 1252 American 2 and make a yeast starter. Come to find out my liquid yeast is out of date. My fall back is that i have a pack of US-05 "house yeast" and a pack of Danstar Notty. What would you do in my shoes ?

I'd pitch the 05 anyway. For the last couple of years I use it on probably 80% of my brews. IPAs, APAs, you name it. About the only thing I don't is Stouts and Belgians.

I'd pitch the 05 anyway. For the last couple of years I use it on probably 80% of my brews. IPAs, APAs, you name it. About the only thing I don't is Stouts and Belgians.

Hammy thank you ! :mug:

Im right there with you. I too use US-05 on 90% of my APAs and IPAs. Because this beer was over the 1.050 mark i thought i would make a starter. I have a stir plate and a 2L flask. My Wyeast is so old the Mr Malty calls for 4 packs. I went ahead and made a starter anyway just to see if it would take off. Sad to say its day 2 and no activity. Its why we make starters right ? Nice to know we can do that. Thanks again all.

I've had it spinning on the stir plate since posting this. So far nada. I'm going to convince SWMBO that we need to go to the LHBS today. I'll see if I can't get something viable.

Back