Help me choose a kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8gallonalchemy

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy my first brew kettle. Not working with a huge budget (preferably $120-$140 max but I'm open to suggestions generally). There's a lot of options out there and it's hard to tell what's good and what's not.

Of the few key pieces of equipment I'll be purchasing once back in Australia next year, this is the key item for me for sure!! And that kettle looks excellent!

All grain or extract? What size batches? BIAB?

If extract you don't need a fancy kettle just get stainless, a tri clad bottom is a nice extra so you don't scorch your extract but you can live without it and silicone handles are always nice to have but again not needed. 8 gallons is good for 5 gallon batches it has plenty of room. If your brewing all grain your going to want a larger kettle I use a 15 gallon kettle for 5 gallon batches, yes I could have gone smaller but this will handle any mash bill I throw at it. If your brewing BIAB you 100% want a tri clad bottom in case you have to warm up your mash with the bag in the kettle.
Assuming 5 gallon batches

Extract I would get a 8 gallon MegaPot I have one and its a great kettle

https://www.northernbrewer.com/collections/brew-kettles/products/megapot-1-2-kettle-8-gal

All grain / BIAB this kettle is a bargain and a half for your budget

https://www.homebrewing.org/Deluxe-15-Gallon-2-Weld-Volume-Marked-Pot_p_9517.html

I personally wouldn't get anything smaller than a 10gal kettle just for versatility.
15gal if you can afford it. An 8 allon pot can do it but is more limiting. That is a great deal though up top.

Get yourself a good sturdy stainless steel 10gallon or bigger pot and go from there. I still use my 11 gallon bayou classic I got 10 years ago. That thing is a tank. You can find those all day for like $75. Probably better than that. In your price range you probably can find one with a drain valve.

Hell, eric is trying to give you one. LOL

I would also recommend a Bayou Classic. I use a 16 gallon for the boil and a 8 gallon to heat my water, really nice pieces of equipment for the price.

All grain or extract? What size batches? BIAB?

If extract you don't need a fancy kettle just get stainless, a tri clad bottom is a nice extra so you don't scorch your extract but you can live without it and silicone handles are always nice to have but again not needed. 8 gallons is good for 5 gallon batches it has plenty of room. If your brewing all grain your going to want a larger kettle I use a 15 gallon kettle for 5 gallon batches, yes I could have gone smaller but this will handle any mash bill I throw at it. If your brewing BIAB you 100% want a tri clad bottom in case you have to warm up your mash with the bag in the kettle.
Assuming 5 gallon batches

Extract I would get a 8 gallon MegaPot I have one and its a great kettle

https://www.northernbrewer.com/collections/brew-kettles/products/megapot-1-2-kettle-8-gal

All grain / BIAB this kettle is a bargain and a half for your budget

https://www.homebrewing.org/Deluxe-15-Gallon-2-Weld-Volume-Marked-Pot_p_9517.html

I would also recommend a Bayou Classic. I use a 16 gallon for the boil and a 8 gallon to heat my water, really nice pieces of equipment for the price.

Planning on doing all-grain and possibly BIAB. Even if I do it the other way, I don't really have storage space or budget for 2 pots so I'd be doing the mash in the pot and then putting it in something else while I clean it out for boiling (which seems like it's going to be a bit of a mess).

This Bayou Classic set on Amazon is looking pretty good and includes a false bottom if I want to do it that way:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009SKU4PE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1JDGMJD2OGRY&psc=1

Last edited:
Planning on doing all-grain and possibly BIAB. Even if I do it the other way, I don't really have storage space or budget for 2 pots so I'd be doing the mash in the pot and then putting it in something else while I clean it out for boiling (which seems like it's going to be a bit of a mess).

This Bayou Classic set on Amazon is looking pretty good and includes a false bottom if I want to do it that way:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009SKU4PE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1JDGMJD2OGRY&psc=1
Add a Wilser brew bag and save the bother of "putting it in something else while I clean it out for boiling".

If you plan to try BIAB, skip pots that have a thermometer installed.

Of the few key pieces of equipment I'll be purchasing once back in Australia next year, this is the key item for me for sure!! And that kettle looks excellent!

I agree, it's a really good deal....with one caveat.

When I decided to try BIAB, I realized my 8-gallon megapot wasn't large enough to do that. So I sold that and bought a 10-gallon Spike kettle.

Morebeer has a terrific beginner's brewing kit that includes virtually everything one needs, hydrometer, chiller, even the 8.5-gallon kettle.

But, IMO, that kettle is just on the small side for BIAB (brew in a bag). The best solution is a 10-gallon kettle. Now, there are ways around this, but I hate buying something only to have to make compromises and produce workarounds.

If one is using a traditional mash tun, and never will do BIAB, then that kettle is perfect. And if one is limited by budget, then it's also a great deal.

For OP: I've gone from a newbie brewer to a pretty high-level setup over 4 years. I look back over the money I wasted early-on, wishing I'd made better purchases. My megapot kettle, for instance. Sold it for a fraction of what I paid. And that hasn't been the only time. There have been several times I've bought something I ended up replacing with something better. I have a Blichmann Hellfire propane burner and a Jaded Hydra chiller just....chillin' in my brew cabinet. They've been replaced by electric brewing and a counterflow stainless chiller. I'll sell 'em here at some point, but I won't recover my costs. Had I known where i'd end up.....

....but in fairness, at the beginning, it's almost impossible to know where one will top out with brewing. Who wants to invest more money only to find it's not worth continuing? There are lots of different setups, at lots of different price points--virtually all of which can be used to produce excellent beer. So money doesn't necessarily equal quality.

And also in fairness, money doesn't grow on trees. I'm an empty-nester, have more disposable income than I had, say, 15 years ago. What I have now would have been impossible 15 years ago, kids came first. So budget concerns are always legitimate concerns.

BUT--having said that--you might try to aim higher if you can. There are ways to supplement a budget for brewing equipment. Have anything you can sell on Craigslist? Or the local Facebook marketplace? Or can you give up something for a week, a month, and pocket the savings? Pack a lunch instead of buy it, a regular coffee instead of a latte? Something like that?

I wouldn't normally suggest something like this, but you are obviously thinking more carefully about this than some might do. If you ever think you might try BIAB, think carefully about whether you'll wish you had a 10-gallon kettle. You *can* do BIAB with an 8.5, but it's a close thing. I always used 7.25 or 7.5 gallons of strike water, then I had to dough-in the grain. If it's a bigger beer...well, as you're stirring it in you get pretty close to the top.

Anyway, something to consider. Good luck, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it--because if you're not enjoying it, you're doing it wrong. :)

Back