help make my IPA a rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odin_Brews

Reaction score
I have a great IPA recipe I like and was thinking to make a rye version. Is it really so simple as replacing 15% of my Pale 2row with rye and add a bit of barley flakes? Also, if using roasted barley flakes should I keep the cara-pils or would the two create for over the top head retention? Here's the grain bills I was thinking at 75% efficiency

IPA
12.5 # Pale
1 # Crystal 60L
0.5 # Munich
0.25 # Cara Pils

Rye IPA
11 # Pale
2 # Rye
0.5 # Munich
0.25# Cara Pils
0.25 # Flaked Barley

Cheers,
Mike

I do a rye that is similar to that. 20% rye, 12% Munich, 6% C60. the rest Pale. So the quantities of Munich and C60 are reversed.

I get good head retention so you probably could drop either the Cara Pils or the flaked barley if you want, but they would not hurt.

I hopped mine with Cascade and Amarillo. I like this a lot and just re-brewed it on Sunday. It is becoming one of my regular brews to have around.

I also like 20% rye! You don't have to add flaked barley, unless you want to. If you add the flaked barley, simply remove the carapils.

I've used malted rye as well as flaked rye, and I love rye IPAs.

I just tried my first Rye IPA on New Years eve, and it was killer! I'm definitely interested in seeing how this turns out.

Yeah I mixed up the amounts of C60 and Munich. I ended up with

10.5 # Pale
2.75 Rye
1 Munich I
0.5 Crystal 60
0.35 Flaked Barley

Brewed this yesterday. Hit my OG spot on at 1.065, 5.5 gallon batch size. Hopped with Centennial, Colombus, SUmmit, Simcoe, AMarillo and Cascade. Ill let you know in 6 weeks how it turned out.

Mike

I do a rye that is similar to that. 20% rye, 12% Munich, 6% C60. the rest Pale. So the quantities of Munich and C60 are reversed.

I get good head retention so you probably could drop either the Cara Pils or the flaked barley if you want, but they would not hurt.

I hopped mine with Cascade and Amarillo. I like this a lot and just re-brewed it on Sunday. It is becoming one of my regular brews to have around.
can you post the recipe?

Sorry about the 3 month late reply, I was on a job and off the homebrewing for a while. Glad to be back!

THis brew turned out great, really enjoyed it and got raving reviews from my friends. In fact I'd dare to say I like it better than the IPA, which I brewed at the same time with all Pale base malt, same on the munich/crystal, and cara-pils instead of flaked rye

Grains were exactly as described above, hops as follows:

1/2 oz Centennial 60 min
1/4 oz Simcoe 60
1/2 oz Amarillo 30
1/4 oz Summit 30
1/2 oz Colombus 15
1/2 oz Amarillo 0
1/4 oz Summit 0
1/4 oz Simcoe 0

Dry hop 1/2 oz ea. Centennial, Colombus, Summit, Simcoe, Amarillo, Cascade

Yeast S-05

With or without the rye I really like the complexity of all those hops together, gives it a sharp but somehow smooth balanced hop profile

Cheers

Back