HELP!! first

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greg2536

Reaction score
Ok, I started my first batch of HB this last weekend. It's a Red River Brown Ale from Midwest. I followed the instructions and watched my times and temps all the way through. Then pitched in the included yeast, it was a dry packed of Munton that I let stand in warm water for at least 10 min. This was all on last Sat. It's been in the primary since then with a blow off tube in sanitizer. So far no bubbles, no foam on the top of the brew. Any ideas what is wrong??:confused:

Prior to pitching the yeast I took one and it was 1.50. So I need to take one now and see where it's at?

Yes. Use a sanitized turkey baster or wine theif and grab a sample and see where the sg is now. That would give you an answer on where it is, and what to do now.

greg2536 said:
Prior to pitching the yeast I took one and it was 1.50. So I need to take one now and see where it's at?

If it read 1.50 then you have brewed the mother of all beers. :D

I'm guessing that it actually read 1.050.

YooperBrew said:
Yes. Use a sanitized turkey baster or wine theif and grab a sample and see where the sg is now. That would give you an answer on where it is, and what to do now.

If you are using a plastic bucket, you don't need the wine theif. Just sanitize the hydrometer and gently put it into your beer.

Bernie Brewer said:
If you are using a plastic bucket, you don't need the wine theif. Just sanitize the hydrometer and gently put it into your beer.

Then how is he going to taste it?

Back