Help figure out how to turn a 50 gallon MT into a tippy dump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akthor

Reaction score
So after several attempts at 1bbl EBIAB I've come to the conclusion that it's just not working out how I hoped. My efficiency is way down. The basket keeps giving me fits with stuck sparges and it's not easy to dump at all like I hoped. The main issue with dumping is the basket is just not rigid enough with 1bbl worth of wet spent grain in it. Its fine for lifting straight up but things aren't so steady trying to dump it.

My plan was always hoist up the basket and dump it. Not have to reach in and scoop out all the spent grain.

Also the efficiency thing and sparging so I'm moving back to a MT and false bottom.

So I have ordered a new 50 gallon MT from Spike and I would like to figure out a way to make so I can tippy dump it using an electric overhead hoist right into a wheel barrow which has always been the plan.

Any ideas???

Sorry to hear this isn't working for you as envisioned. I guess you're pushing past BIAB's boundaries of usefulness with that kind of volume.

For your new mash tun, maybe hang it in a (custom) cradle so you don't have to weld hoisting/pivoting ears onto the tun itself?

I tried to get a manufacturer to weld something to it but none would do it.

Hmm I wonder if a steel band around the middle with ears attached to hook the hoist might be doable?

I wouldn't trust a local welder to weld directly on the pot but to make band and attach it perhaps....

I know other brewers have gotten BIAB that size to work. But for me it's not the ease of use I imagined it to be. And at batches that size I can't afford for beer to not be perfect Everytime.

I found this picture of a rig someone built for a 1bbl system to dump the mash. I had thought about trying something similar. Whatever you do it will need to be pretty stout to support the weight. Getting the weight balance will also be important so that you are able to tip it easily.. interested to see what you come up with
Brew-Stand-Build_09252015_004.jpeg

Yeah that's far too complex for me.

A cradle made of steel bands that wrap around the MT allowing me to hook the overhead hoist to it. Lift it up and tip to dump it. Just gotta figure out the cradle/ bands part.

Problem with the basket was the attachment points was the top of the basket. So it was too heavy to tip to dump. After I'd scoop a bunch of grain out to lighten it then I could tip and dump it out. I would have stayed with it despite this if I didn't have the efficiency and sparge issues too.

Mine isn't fancy at all, but maybe it can give you an idea?
It's just a steel dowel, with some braces.
full

My MLT is smaller, of course, but the principle would be the same. It's cheap and easy, and sturdy.

Back when I did 1 barrel batches, I built a mash tun out of one of those blue HDPE 55 gallon barrels. I just tipped it over into a wheel barrel and hauled it out back to feed the deer. It was much lighter and actually held temps better than stainless.

Picture 103.jpg

I had a floating dock and recently gave away 10 of those blue barrels lol Also I've already purchased the 1bbl MT from Spike. But that's a pretty clever idea!

But that's exactly what I want to do is tip it right into a wheel barrel and the wheel it right out and dump it in the woods.

Back