Help creating A Dunkelweizen Recipie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imperialipa

Reaction score
I am creating a dunkelweizen recipie. My goal is to perfect this and enter it into the Puyallup fair next year. :)

I would imagine I will brew this quite a few times over the next year tweaking it until I get it how I like it.

Any suggestions are certainly appreciated.

OG 1.053
FG 1.011
SRM 24.3
IBU 15.9
ABV 5.6%

5LB Dark wheat Malt (7.5L) (43.5%)
3LB 8oz Dark Munich Malt (12L) (26.1%)
2LB Vienna Malt (3.5L) (17.4%)
12oz Special B malt (180L) 6.5%
4oz Chocolate Wheat Malt (400SRM) 2.2%
1lb Rice Hulls (0.0SRM) (4.3%)
.50oz Hallertauer 6.2%AA 60 min
.50oz Tettnang 4.5%AA 20 min
WYeast 3056 Bavarian Wheat Yeast (With Starter)

Mash with a 122 degree protien rest for 30 min
Bump to 154 degrees for 45min
Mash out to 170 for 10 min

Ferment at 65 degrees 3 weeks

I actually think that sounds like it'd make a damn good dunkelweizen, I wouldn't change a thing! Brew that bad boy up!

I've mashed 64% wheat with no rice hulls and zero problems. A whole pound is a lotta bulk that I don't think you'll need -- maybe a half pound. I would add a little pale malt (wheat or barley) to the grist just for its surplus enzymes.

I looked up the Dark Munich and the the Dark Wheat Malt and on Wyermans website. It says dark munich can be used for 100% and Dark Wheat malt 50%. So I'm not sure what you mean by needing a pale malt for more enzymes?

So I'm not sure what you mean by needing a pale malt for more enzymes?

You misread me. I said that I would add pale malt for its surplus enzymes, but for my own peace of mind, not for an empirical "need." Darker malts are not known for their plentiful diastatic power, so I would give myself a little headroom.

I too think you don't need a full pound of rice hulls unless you've had problems in the past with stuck sparges. Otherwise, go for it.

Will the 4 oz of chocolate wheat give you some amount of roastiness? If so, if you want it cleaner, I would use carafa special II or carafa special II and some caramunich. I've never brewed with chocolate wheat though, so I can't say exactly. May be a matter of do the first one with it and substitute with other malts for the second batch and see which one tastes better!

How about doing:

5lbs dark wheat malt
3lbs Dark Munich Malt
2lbs Vienna malt

I have seen Dunkel recipies with Vienna so I think it is still staying true to the style? Plus the vienna might give me that enzyme buffer you were talking about. Says you can use it in up to 90% grist.

AS far as it giving of Roasty/cofee flavors for the Chocolate Wheat I have never used it before either so I'll be curious. If it does that is not what and I will indeed swap it for a dark carafa

3056 is a bit more subtle and neutral. But still recommended for a Dunkelweizen on Wyeast's site.

As I will be brewing this multiple times this year I'll try it with both and do a side by side taste test to see which one I like better!

Looks good. Not far off from my 1.5 gallon batch which I have yet to brew.

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2 lbs 1.0 oz Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 64.6 %
12.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 23.5 %
4.0 oz Chocolate Malt ( 350.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.8 %
0.40 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 14.6 IBUs
1.0 pkg Munich (Wheat) (Danstar #-) [23.66 ml] Yeast 7 -
2.1 oz Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.1 %
0.50 oz Malto-Dextrine (Boil 5.0 mins) Other 6 -

I've used 1/4# of chocolate wheat (along with 1/4# of Special B) in a weizenbock to excellent effect. It certainly will give some roastiness, though less of a coffee/chocolate flavor than roasted barley, chocolate malt, etc. In a 1.083 beer the addition is very subtle, but for a less intense beer I might go for carawheat instead. I think carawheat has a very toasty/bready flavor that would go well in a dunkelweizen. I liked it a lot in my last roggenbier, and I'll probably put a few ounces into my next weizen.

Thanks for the advice on the choc wheat. I qam going to brew one batch with the choc and one with the Carawheat. Now I'm really curious about what the differances might taste like.

I would do the carawheat, I only like chocolate in a stout, nothing else but that's an opinion and u got my 2¢

Back