Protien Rest needed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imperialipa

Reaction score
Making a dunkelweizen.... Some books I read say doing a protien rest is beneficial. Others say its not necessary. Will doing one effect the final outcome?

I have a direct fired rims so doing a protien rest would be easy.

What is the recommended temp and time for a protien rest?

Below is my recipie on how I think I wil make it.

OG 1.053
FG 1.011
SRM 24.3
IBU 15.9
ABV 5.6%

5LB Dark wheat Malt (7.5L) (43.5%)
3LB 8oz Dark Munich Malt (12L) (26.1%)
2LB Vienna Malt (3.5L) (17.4%)
12oz Special B malt (180L) 6.5%
4oz Chocolate Wheat Malt (400SRM) 2.2%
.5 lb Rice Hulls (0.0SRM) (4.3%)
.50oz Hallertauer 6.2%AA 60 min
.50oz Tettnang 4.5%AA 20 min
WYeast 3056 Bavarian Wheat Yeast (With Starter)

Mash with a 122 degree protien rest for 30 min
Bump to 154 degrees for 45min
Mash out to 170 for 10 min

Wheat is so full of protien I wouldn't even mess with a protien rest, and traditionally weizen beers are unfiltered and full of protien/yeast

A protein rest would help with lautering. If you do one; in Gordon Strong's new book he said that the higher end of the range breaks down fewer of the head forming protein and focuses more on the haze causing protein. The typical range is 122-131, he suggests always going at 131. That said, this is a hazy style of beer so it would make as much sense not to do one. If you never get stuck sparges then there is no reason you need to, then again if you think it sounds fun you should do it.

"beneficial" and "not necessary" are two different things. While a protein rest is not necessary, in the right situation it can have some real benefits. I actually don't worry about haze. I use a protein rest to improve body and head retention. Proteins in beer are largely overlooked by home brewers in the role they play in providing body.

I like to use a protein rest when I use a bunch of wheat. 30 min. is too long though. I wouldn't go over 20 min.

While on my recent tour of the Pilsner Urquell malting facility, we asked our guide (one of the brewers) about their mash regime and what malts do they buy and from whom. They don't make any specialty malts, and buy those from Weyermann. So we asked, if you had to buy pils malt, then who from? He said probably Weyermann. Then he mentioned that since they produce their own malt, it is made EXACTLY to the stage that works best for their process. They do not therefore need to do a protein rest. He said that since the major maltsters supply malt to a lot of different breweries, the malt they produce is a bit of a compromise such that it will work well with a variety of processes/breweries. He recommended a protein rest when using standard commercial pilsner malts.

Just to be clear, this refers to Pilsner malt.

Back