Dunkelweizen Help/Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drbiochemist

Reaction score
Hi,

I have created my first (calculated) recipe for 5 gallon dunkelweizen and just received everything to brew on this Saturday. However, I am having some second thoughts on my recipe and wanted to get some advice. My recipe is as follows:

6 lbs - Northern Brewer Wheat LME (65%wheat, 35% pale malt) ~3L
1 lbs - German Vienna Malt 3.8L
1 lbs - German Munich Malt 8.3L
0.5 lbs - Flaked Wheat
0.25 lb - Weyermann Chocolate Wheat 400L
1.2 oz - Spalt Hops (60min) with AA 3.9%
Wyeast - 3068 Weihenstephan Wheat

I am planning to mash the 1 lb each of Vienna and Munich in 2 gallons of water for 45 min - 60 min at ~168 degrees. Then pour into kettle, bring water up to about 5 - 6 gallons and steep the chocolate wheat and flaked wheat at ~ 155 degrees for 30min. Then boil LME and hops for 60mins.

I have total (from Northern Brewer) 6lbs LME, 1lb vienna, 1lb munich, 1lb flaked wheat, 1lb chocolate wheat and 2oz Spalt hops. I calculated the recipe based on 36 ppg for LME, 21 ppg for chocolate wheat, 27 ppg for flaked wheat, 26 ppg for both vienna and munich with all based on 75% efficiency except LME. I am trying to reach about 57 pts and attenuation of about 12-14 pts. The ppg numbers I found in a chart in "How to Brew" by John Palmer. I also followed his calculations and have calculated a SG of 1.057 and a FG of 1.014 has ABV ~5.64% with ~75% attenuation. In Palmers hop utilization chart I calculated U as 0.217 and using 1.2 oz of Spalt at 3.9% AA will give me ~4.7-4.8 AAU. I found an easy balance website which gives my recipe about 15 IBU. I tried using Beer smith with everything I have calculated and even though not all the malts I am using are not in Beersmith I edited the ppgs and AA% and I am getting an IBU of about 23. I believe this is about all I can think of at the moment to make it as clear as possible. Please, give me some advice/tips on how I can make this with the supplies I have at hand and make sure the balance is right. Thanks!

Cheers!:mug:

I'd recommend using a blow off tube when using the Weihenstephan yeast. I used this yeast recently (5-gals of beer in a 6.5 gal fermentor) and it almost blew the lid off the bucket. I had krausen coming out of the airlock within 12-hours. Several others have had the same experience with this yeast also.

I just had a batch blow the top off the fermentor and fill my mini fridge with an inch of krausen. It poured out when I opened the door. The room still smells after a month.

Back