Help Choosing an RO System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmbigda

Reaction score
I know there are a lot of good threads on this, and I've read a few of them today but still am unsure of a few things.

My desire to purchase an RO/DI system is solely brewing related. My drinking water sources vary to the point I cannot test the water and alter accordingly for each brew. I am simply looking for the same predictability I am getting with store bought distilled water...~0 levels of Na, Mg, Ca, Cl, SO4, Cl, chloromines, and any other obvious things i've left out.

Ideally I would purchase a small, inexpensive system, that can be hooked up to a sink faucet or garden hose to collect brewing water in the days/weeks leading up to a brew. I'm not concerned with output rate or waste reduction as I only intend to use this for brewing and perhaps occasionally putting some jugs aside for dehumidifiers, etc. My plan would be to turn it on when I'm going to be home for a few hours and check on it periodically to avoid overflow. And stop once I have enough for the upcoming brew (~8 gallons).

So that all being said...my main question is, how basic of a system can I get away with such that I maintain these near 0 levels with appropriately timed filter changes? Do I need both RO and DI to achieve this? That part of it doesn't come across to me clearly. Maybe it's just obvious?

Thanks!

I know there are a lot of good threads on this, and I've read a few of them today but still am unsure of a few things.

My desire to purchase an RO/DI system is solely brewing related. My drinking water sources vary to the point I cannot test the water and alter accordingly for each brew. I am simply looking for the same predictability I am getting with store bought distilled water...~0 levels of Na, Mg, Ca, Cl, SO4, Cl, chloromines, and any other obvious things i've left out.

Ideally I would purchase a small, inexpensive system, that can be hooked up to a sink faucet or garden hose to collect brewing water in the days/weeks leading up to a brew. I'm not concerned with output rate or waste reduction as I only intend to use this for brewing and perhaps occasionally putting some jugs aside for dehumidifiers, etc. My plan would be to turn it on when I'm going to be home for a few hours and check on it periodically to avoid overflow. And stop once I have enough for the upcoming brew (~8 gallons).

So that all being said...my main question is, how basic of a system can I get away with such that I maintain these near 0 levels with appropriately timed filter changes? Do I need both RO and DI to achieve this? That part of it doesn't come across to me clearly. Maybe it's just obvious?

Thanks!
this is about the cheapest 4 stage system that will deliver what you are looking for...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-Mi...949107?hash=item414f28d073:g:6SsAAOxyYYlRxKN-

The catch is that something that cost a little more like this,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Stage-Res...351241?hash=item2ca4420589:g:bz0AAOSwo6lWP6MP

Will be the better value in the long run with cheaper standard replacement filter costs and a reserve tank making it easier to use .

I use one similiar to the second system I bought a few years ago on ebay only mine came with a spiltter and DI filter output to use for my reef tank... regular RO water is all you want though.

regular RO water is all you want though.

I know this is a really stupid question, but can a general assumption be made that ~any RO system will deliver the near 0 levels pertinent to brewing? Regardless of # of stages, how fancy it is, etc etc?

Thanks for the reply

I'm also not overly concerned about cost, I just don't want to pay for features that I have no need for. so I totally agree with your advice on the filter cost. and if a reservoir tank with a float shutoff is only a few dollars more I also agree to go that route

I know this is a really stupid question, but can a general assumption be made that ~any RO system will deliver the near 0 levels pertinent to brewing? Regardless of # of stages, how fancy it is, etc etc?

Thanks for the reply
Well its the type of filters and the membrane filter at the end that make "RO" water... The brand of the system really doesnt matter as much as the quality of the and proper staging of the filters and having more stages allows longer filter life without ruining the membrane as well from what I remember... you do need water pressure in a certain "safezone" too if I remember right.

I own a TDS meter which in fact show my system is doing what it should as well as the fact that my reef tank is doing well with it vs using tap water. I also noticed a huge difference in both my beer and how the ph changes with additives vs tap water.

most real RO systems start around 100 bucks... the one I linked above for 65 is really small and I doubt it would work as well for anywhere near as long without having to replace the filters...
The good news is the filters are fairly inexpensive and last a long time (400-600 gallons if I remember correctly.)

I do what you plan to do and the resevior makes it much easier dispensing about 3 gallons at a time before slowing to a trickle... I usually fill my containers 3 gallons at a time until full this way avoiding forgetting and running over which Ive done.

The filter runs at a flow rate less than a coffee maker makes coffee so keep that in mind. they also waste a lot more water than they clean.

A TDS meter and store bought water is cheaper for about the first two years.. maybe more. I have a well and really when I researched it.. to get efficient RO on a well requires 50+ PSI all the time.. so to do it right, I would also need a jet pump and a second tank.

I just buy and check store bought. 37 cents a gallon....

I figured I mention the possibility.. it might be borderline smarta$$ but I've done the math in my case.

Fred

A TDS meter and store bought water is cheaper for about the first two years.. maybe more. I have a well and really when I researched it.. to get efficient RO on a well requires 50+ PSI all the time.. so to do it right, I would also need a jet pump and a second tank.

I just buy and check store bought. 37 cents a gallon....

I figured I mention the possibility.. it might be borderline smarta$$ but I've done the math in my case.

Fred

yah it's a legitimate point but my math is different. unless I'm totally missing something I can't get distilled in my area for cheaper than 89 cents a gallon. I've even posted on here for suggestions for buying in larger quantities in my area. I've also called around quite a bit.

Not that .89 vs .37 is an earth shattering difference, but I also have very high incoming water pressure, and could even increase it by removing or replacing my pressure reducing valve. I plan to plumb this in in my basement very close to the meter so it should run as efficiently as advertised if not more.

My break even point is basically just sooner than yours. a 5 gal batch costs me $7 in water. and I brew every 6 weeks roughly.

It only has to be 40 psi for many membranes to work correctly.. And honestly if I cut my morning shower 5 minutes I save enough water to make the wasted water a moot point for brewing 10 gallons of beer... It doesnt get used all that often. The other plus is better drinking water which is nice to have as a side effect. I bought mine 3 years ago and the convenience of not having to buy water for my fish tank and beer making is well worth it to me.. Distilled water is also close to a buck a gallon around here. Thought I would notice it on my water bill because we have crazy high sewer fees but I didnt so..

Another vote for BuckeyeHydro. I called Russ and he took the time to explain what would work best for my setup. He shipped my order the same day and the total cost was just as good as any similar setup on ebay. Great customer service.

I have an Apec brand 4-stage filter. It has been taking my water from 180 to 7 TDS for a year with no maintenance at all.

This is their counter top version that hooks up to a faucet. Its a good bit more expensive than the eBay option though:

http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/ro-counter-detail.htm/

I went with the permanent install route. 14 gallon bladder tank hooked to a tap at the kitchen sink and to the ice maker I the fridge. I installed a permeate pump to help with the reject water efficiency. I can get up to 10 gallons out of the tank in one shot, perfect for a 5 gallon batch.

My wife loves it , she hated the chlorine taste in our water.

I love any time I can justify brewing equipment for non brewing uses (RIMS = Sous Vide machine...)

The 88 cents a gallon is the pre-bottled stuff. They will have a "Primo" machine somewhere else usually in the store, at least if it is a supercenter. I made the same mistake when I was looking for it. Most groceries also have RO machines. That and a cheap TDS meter to verify and you are good to go.

Back