Help choosing a ro system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Russ, got a question for you:

I've got a system with a 75 GPD membrane (Your 75GPD MAXR membrane). Water into the system is softened, and has a booster pump to bring the pressure up to 90psi. Permeate goes through a permeate pump into an 11 gallon capacity pressure storage tank. Booster pump and feedwater solenoid are tripped by a pressure switch on the storage tank, 40/60 psi.

I've got one of your flush valves on it, with (if I remember right) a blue restrictor in it. I get a consistent 98% rejection rate according to my TDS meter.

Could I use a smaller restrictor to generate less concentrate? I know I'll shorten the life of the membrane, but if I have to swap it out every 1-2 years it's not the end of the world.

Sure. You should get a reasonable life out of the membrane as your water is softened.

Your blue fr is sized for a 75 gpd membrane. You could step down to a 50 gpd fr (green).

Did you install the booster pump AFTER your prefilter housings?

Russ

The booster pump is before the prefilter housings, but all the water into my home goes through a 10 micron spun polyester 4x20 sediment filter. I'm on a well, should have mentioned that. My pressure gauge on the RO system is after the prefilter housings.

In a perfect world, you'd move the pump so it is after the prefilters. The weakest component on your entire system in terms of ability to withstand pressure is those clear housings.

Buckeye-Hydro-HP-Booster-Config_zps372b9df8.png

Ok, Russ. You made a good point, and I had the tubing. The system is now plumbed the way you recommended. None too soon, it seems; from the looks of it I may have the beginnings of stress cracks in one of the prefilter housings, so I'll be looking to replace that on my next filter change.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll be ordering the restrictor from your site. Do you sell the replacement clear housings, or do I need the whole canister?

I'm glad this thread has popped up in the past couple of days. I just found out that I knew absolutely NOTHING about RO water. Now I know a smidge. Lots more to learn. In the meantime I will keep spending 30 to 35 cents a gallon for brewing water.

A question for Russ:

I'm considering an RO system for brewing only (our tap water is fine for drinking, and we have a water softener). I've been buying bulk RO water from Walmart, but due to recent back troubles, my days of schlepping water jugs to and from the store are coming to an end.

I'm looking at the Buckeye Premium RO systems right now. I don't want to do a permanent installation. I'd simply like to hook it up in my laundry room when needed, using the standard hose bib for source water, and fill 5 gallon water jugs with the RO. I'd either run the waste water down the sink or perhaps collect it for watering plants, etc. Anyway, what parts do I need in addition to what comes with the system to set it up this way?

A question for Russ:

I'm considering an RO system for brewing only (our tap water is fine for drinking, and we have a water softener). I've been buying bulk RO water from Walmart, but due to recent back troubles, my days of schlepping water jugs to and from the store are coming to an end.

I'm looking at the Buckeye Premium RO systems right now. I don't want to do a permanent installation. I'd simply like to hook it up in my laundry room when needed, using the standard hose bib for source water, and fill 5 gallon water jugs with the RO. I'd either run the waste water down the sink or perhaps collect it for watering plants, etc. Anyway, what parts do I need in addition to what comes with the system to set it up this way?

A hose bib splitter and adapter, OR just a hose bib adapter

And that's about it. A some point if you want the system to shut itself off when your reservoir (5 gallon bucket) is full, that's doable as well.

Should be a quick and easy set up.

Russ

Thanks all for the information. This is a great community of helpful people. Just wanted to say I originally choose reef supply 4 stage 75 gpd system. Then I found buckeye hydro. I really wanted a 3 stage because I did not need/want the di portion on the 4 stage system. buckeye had a inexpensive 3 stage and I cancelled my order with reef to get the buckeye system. I plan on testing this unit and will post here with my opinions. Thanks again on the help you all supplied me with.

Buckeye_Hydro,

Curious to know what system you'd suggest for this water profile:

pH 8.7
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm 798
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 1.33
Cations / Anions, me/L 13.4 / 13.8 ppm
Sodium, Na 303
Potassium, K < 1
Calcium, Ca 2
Magnesium, Mg < 1
Total Hardness, CaCO3 9
Nitrate, NO3-N 0.4 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S 30
Chloride, Cl 130
Carbonate, CO3 13.1
Bicarbonate, HCO3 476
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 408
Total Phosphorus, P 0.03
Total Iron, Fe < 0.01 "<" - Not Detected / Below Detection Limit

I'm guessing your Ca, and Mg are expressed in gpg? Must be. 9 gpg total hardness is not terribly hard in the grand scheme of things.

Is what you need for home brewing just a few gallons at a time, or are we talking about a larger commercial situation?

Russ

Home brewing. I'd need to collect in the neighborhood of 12-30 gallons for a typical brew day depending on if I choose to dilute the source or not.

And how long are you willing to wait for the production of 30 gallons? Or are you wanting to set up a system that fills a 30 gallon "reservoir" and automatically shuts itself off when the container is full?

Might be best if you just gave us a call. We're here all day today.

Russ
513-312-2343

And how long are you willing to wait for the production of 30 gallons? Or are you wanting to set up a system that fills a 30 gallon "reservoir" and automatically shuts itself off when the container is full?

Might be best if you just gave us a call. We're here all day today.

Russ
513-312-2343

Alright, I'll try to call if I get a break. I'm brewing today! :) I'm considering RO so that I dont have to buy distilled.

Have to say that talking with Russ was well worth it. He is very knowledgable on the subject and as a result, steered me on the right direction. I ended up ordering a custom upgrade of the residential system and enough fittings and tubing to feed my brew system, my refrigerator, and the included faucet at the sink. Everything should be in Tuesday.

And it's an OH business so that's a bonus for me. Thanks again, Russ!

That's funny stuff!

Paps - I'm with Buckeye Hydro - a site sponsor and water treatment company.

See posts above!

Russ

Yeah, sorry about that. Was tired when reading the thread and usually skip over parts when people write their name after every post. The LHBS near me has a hydro side so perhaps they can clue me in on RO stuff. If not, i'll give you a call.

3 RO housings
3 150gpd membranes
5 micron water filter
filter housing brackets from freshwatersystems.
The pump is an aquatec 8800 from Amazon

Another link to a similar system is here. (Note in Sap we do not want a charcoal filter as it is destroy the sugar.
https://sites.google.com/site/mattatuckmadnessmaplesyrup/home/homemade-reverse-osmosis-system

OK - we can build that for you but it has some configuration errors. Can you call in to discuss?
Russ
513-312-2343

Back