Help bringing up SG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonybroadway

Reaction score
Ok, I need the help of some of you math wizzes. I have mixed up a batch of Coopers Heritage lager, and I added 1 litre too much. So what I have is 24 litres of wort with an sg of 1.034 and 250 grams of brewing sugar that I could add.

The question is: How much would the 250 grams of brewing sugar bring the sg up to if i added it the wort?

250 / 454 * 0.042 / 6.34 = 0.004

What should the sg be? I think 1.034 looks a bit low. If you hadn't added the extra liter of water, you would have gotten 1.036. The probable reason for this is that the wort wasn't stirred enough before you took the gravity. For a difference of 0.002, I would leave it as it is.

-a.

So adding the brewing sugar would bring it up .004? i think it ultimately should have been around the 1.042 range. i have given it another stir and drew the sample from the bottom. It still shows 1.034.
So, then would adding 500 grams of brewing sugar bring it up .008?

Yes, 500 grams would bring it up to 1.042.
Before you do that however, have you calibrated your hydrometer? It's not uncommon for them to be off by a few points. Take a reading in cold (calibration temperature) water. If it reads less than 1.000, then add the difference to all your gravity readings.
About the only way you can miss the OG on an extract batch is not to add all the ingredients, or to end up with a wrong volume. OK, you did end up with the wrong volume, but the difference was only 1/23rd, and 1/23rd of 42 points would account for a gravity difference of 0.0018 which isn't enough to worry about.

-a.

Back