Hello!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude422

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new here. I've been wanting to start my own brewing for awhile but I've finally gotten the money set aside to give it a try. With that being said, I'm a poor college kid with around 200-300 to get started. I was hoping some people could point me in the right direction.

I know I could get plenty of basic things(Mr. Beer) and get started but I would prefer to get just above the basics and be set for a while. I would love not only a list but perhaps a good place to get the things I need. I am from a very small town and there is not a local brew store here.

Finally, my only other question is about secondary fermentation. I've cruised the forums a bit but I'm not sure what the benefits of secondary fermentation are, as well as, how to do it.

Any comments or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Look on craigslist, I see starter kits on there all the time. For some reason, someone started the hobby, and stopped.

I would recommend getting a starter kit, it has a lot of odds and ends that you will either need, or will want anyway.

Buckets are fine to ferment in. They are cheap, and easy. A lot of people who make much better beer than me do it in plastic buckets. I personally use glass, but only because I like to watch and keep an eye on it.

Secondary is normally only used for dry hopping (IPA's or other hoppy beers) or long term bulk aging. Most people who are not dry hopping do not bother with a secondary.

Where are you from? Try looking for a local Homebrew store in the yellow pages or online. If not search through Midwest, Austin Homebrew Supply, or Northern Brewer for a starter system. I would recommend one of these: Compare All Kits :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies, either the basic or starter. The starter kit has the advantage of a secondary, which is good for clearing, dryhopping, or just to make space in your primary for your next brew. Also you will want a stainless steel pot for boil and a couple dozen bottles

Here is what you need, minimum, to start brewing:

7 Gallon Ale Pail (food grade plastic bucket with lid drilled with grommet for airlock)
Airlock (3 piece or bubble style)
Bottling Bucket (food grade plastic bucket drilled with a spigot near bottom)
Large stock pot (about 5 gallons will be enough for partial boil extract brewing)
Hydrometer
Thermometer
Bottling Wand
Bottle Capper
Auto-siphon (yes, you really do need one)
A few feet or 3/8" hose
PBW (Powdered Brewery Wash, for cleaning)
Star San (for sanitizing)

Everything else is just gravy. If you do have extra cash, I would recommend an Immersion Chiller. With just that equipment you could brew happy for years.

Hi Everyone, Thanks for all your help. I decided on the Starter kit(with the Better Bottle) from midwest supplies. I'll be getting it in a little while and then I'm sure I'll have all sorts of questions to ask.

Latest posts

Back