Hello from the impatient one

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impatient one

Reaction score
I'm very happy that I found this. (I've been lurking for some time now gathering information). On my first brew from a kit. (Peanutbutter porter) it said it was easy. I'm probably going to bottle this weekend and I don't want to screw it up. There's sediment and I don't have another container to rack it. I still have to put in the peanutbutter extract and priming sugar, on Saturday and bottle all in one day. Anyone's suggestion would be appreciated.
Thanks for letting me be a part of your group.

So is your concern the sediment?
Going on that assumption you might put the extract and priming sugar in a day earlier so that the sediment can resettle since you want to stir the two additions in well to ensure its homogeneous. Otherwise you may get varied flavor and carbonation.
Or, (Preferred) run to Menards and pickup another 5 gal. bucket (one of the white ones that is marked food grade) to mix in and bottle from. They are only ~$8 each.

Last edited:
...you might put the extract and priming sugar in a day earlier...
Don't do that! The priming sugar will start fermenting before you get to bottling, unless the beer is kept quite cold!

Or, run to Menards and pickup another 5 gal. bucket (one of the white ones that is marked food grade) to mix in and bottle from.
This is the way!

If you absolutely don't have time to get a seperate bucket, you can (gently) mix in the peanut butter extract, then add priming sugar (table sugar) to each individual bottle (each bottle would get a half teaspoon), and fill.

Also, if this is your first time ever bottling, give it a dry-run first before you start anything, to make certain that your bottle capper works with your bottle (especially if you've collected store-bought beer bottles).

Don't do that! The priming sugar will start fermenting before you get to bottling, unless the beer is kept quite cold!
I've never had it take-off that quickly but I usually let it settle a full week before I prime so yeast is lower PPM. But there is another alternative, prime each bottle, But that can be erratic not to mention a PITA.
I'm surprised the instructions had him wait to add the extract.

Also, if this is your first time ever bottling, give it a dry-run first before you start anything, to make certain that your bottle capper works with your bottle (especially if you've collected store-bought beer bottles).
Absolutely agree with that.
Many of the store bottles have the rib that the capper holds onto located higher (too high) on the neck.

Thanks for the suggestions, if sediment isn't going to be a problem in terms of flavor, then straight from the fermenter it is. If it is, then I guess it'll have to wait until next week. I don't expect it to be perfect on the first time, but I want to do it as close as I can. I've included a pic of the instructions saying when and what to add. It's been sitting in my basement for 3 weeks, bubbles have stopped. Gravity shows movement but not where it should be, so I'm chalking it up to inexperience. Unless you think it should sit longer. I'm just not sure at this point what I'm supposed to do. I'll buy another bucket though.
1000001850.jpg
1000001850.jpg

Your instructions say to add the priming sugar and PB extract in the bottling bucket, that's the right procedure. Get the bottling bucket. If possible get a spigot for it as well, it will prevent you from having to prime a siphon. Do you have a bottling wand?

When you rack using a siphon don't stick the siphon all the way on the bottom of your fermenter, in the trub. Leave it a few inches above the trub so it only siphons clear beer.
Easiest to clip the siphon to the side of the fermenter.

When the beer level has dropped to a couple inches above the bottom of the siphon, before it starts sucking air, tilt the bucket gently toward the siphon to keep the siphoning well deep enough. Stick a rolled up towel under the high end of the bucket. Then lower the siphon slowly to suck as much beer up without any trub. When trub or cloudy beer goes into the siphon, stop the transfer by pulling the siphon out or clamp the transfer hose tight.

You can rehearse this with a bucket of water to get the process down to a T.

Back