Hello from Sheffield, UK

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I thought I'd say hello!

I signed up after pretty much every Google search I made for info ended up here.

Homebrew is a new hobby (i don't like the word hobby, but can't think of an alternative!) for me. I worked as a freelance photographer for over a decade until about five years ago, when I got a proper job.

I've always loved cooking, and making things, and beer (of course) so I thought homebrew would make a satisfying pastime.

I'm starting with kits, to try to learn the brewing process, and get that to some level of consistency, before, hopefully, moving onto experimenting with my own recipes.

The first kit I tried was a Young's New World Saison, (which I now realise may have been a mistake as an introduction to home brew) which I've split between a King Keg (Top Tap) and some reclaimed bottles. Unfortunately, the King Keg holds no pressure and the beer tastes something like disinfected cardboard boxes dissolved in White Spirit. Yum. :( the bottles I'm leaving to get fizzy for another week, before chilling them. Hopefully they'll be OK.

I've just put a Mangrove Jack's Juicy IPA in the fermenter, although I misread the instructions and got a tin of light liquid malt extract (Coopers) to add to it, instead of the specified Liquid Malt Enhancer, so the OG is 1040 and I gues sit will turn out to be a completely different brew to intended, if it works at all!

On the way, I have a Brewferm Saison (I do like a saison!) and a Mangrove Jacks Pink Grapefruit IPA to put on as/when time allows.

Apologies for the ramble and thank you for letting join your community :)

All the best

Gary

Hey bro, welcome from the Bay of Islands in New Zealand, I’m originally from Grimsby in England but have lived over here nearly 7 years. I’ve only been home brewing myself on & off for around 3 years, made quite a few extract batches but now branching out this year in to all grain brewing.

Ha. Unfortunately I'm not much of a football fan, and as I'm originally from Oldham, the Latics are the only team I've ever followed... plus my better half is Wednesday, so I couldn't possibly be a Blade

Thanks for all the kind welcomes. I've been learning loads reading through the various threads and have high hopes for the IPA I have brewing at the moment. The airlock is chattering away nicely

Last edited:
Back