hello from northeast ohio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiobrew

Reaction score
Just wanted to say hi. Been reading here for a few days, and while its a bit overwhelming I am beginning to find my way. We will be brewing our first batch ever this afternoon. Nervous but so excited!

Well that was a rough go. Learned quickly that my 21 qt stock pot is not big enough, and that my equipment did not come with a grommet for my primary lid. Gonna out it on today so hope the batch isn't ruined. Oh well. I can only get better, right?

Well that was a rough go. Learned quickly that my 21 qt stock pot is not big enough, and that my equipment did not come with a grommet for my primary lid. Gonna out it on today so hope the batch isn't ruined. Oh well. I can only get better, right?

It is just fine to top up with water after your boil. As for the grommet, it should also be okay. In the meant time you can just lay a sanitized piece of foil over the hole so nothing falls into it. Once the fermentation gets going there will be enough positive pressure in your fermentor to keep any baddies out.

Im in youngstown my self. This place is not really great for homebrewing..mvsd adds cloramine to the water so its bottled water or RO which is damn expensive..and there is only one tiny lhbs open anymore..the pumphouse in struthers. The store in warren and austintown have both closed..which means I have to go to Grape and Granary in Akron or to Leeners up by windham...im currently trying to link up with some of the brewers from M.A.G.M.A (Mahoning Area Grain Masters Association). To help me perfect my craft..but I havent seen any recent post on there websight or any newer youtube videos..hmmmm.

What up from Athens. Originally from Youngstown though.

I'm from Youngtown myself originally, but rarely get back to visit these days. I did visit 3-4 times per year, up until last year.

I love to go to Vintage, in Boardman, for the beer selection and for a couple of pints.

I don't have a brewstore where I live now, so I've been ordering just about everything online in the last few years. Aside from bulk purchases of sacks of grain, shipping is reasonable and the quality of the ingredients is top-notch.

Hi from Wadsworth! Doesn't take long for that first batch to turn what appears to be an innocent hobby into a full-blown obsession!

I am originally from Hartville Ohio and to be honest I miss it! Much better than south florida.

I was listening to a podcast from the Brewing network site and Jamil was talking to Chris White (founder of White labs) and Chris said that he prefers starting with foil until the fermentation gets going and then add the air lock so no worries!

Hi from Wadsworth! Doesn't take long for that first batch to turn what appears to be an innocent hobby into a full-blown obsession!

I hear that one. Im trying to get SWMBO to get bit by the brew bug too..but so far she just wants the spoils of my labor. Then again she doesnt complain when I go to a lhbs to purchase new kits and stuff.

Back