Helles recipe check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strat_thru_marshall

Reaction score
Getting set to brew up 10 gallons of Helles. First crack at this style. Any input or critique on this recipe would be appreciated!!!

Ingredients:
15.0 lb German 2-row Pils
2.0 lb German Light Munich
.5 lb Carapils®/Carafoam®
2 oz Tettnanger (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
White Labs WLP833 German Bock Lager Yeast

Mash at 150, 90 minute boil, 1 gallon yeast starter, ferment at 50F for 4 weeks, lager at 35F for 4 weeks.

I brewed one recently and it turned out pretty good, I used 19.5 lbs Pils, 1 lb Munich and 0.25 Melanoidan malt (Jamil's Recipe).

I used Magnum for the hops which was nice cuz it took just less than an ounce which means not a lot of hop residue left in the kettle / fermenter. I used the WLP830 also.

I ended up with 11.5g of 1.049 wort with 18.7 IBU and it finished out around 1.008

Sounds like what you got will be pretty good I cant think of the numbers off the top of my head but the IBU's and stuff sound right. Whats your target OG?

Sounds like what you got will be pretty good I cant think of the numbers off the top of my head but the IBU's and stuff sound right. Whats your target OG?

Shooting for OG of about 1.046-1.047 in an 11 gallon batch, my system is running at about 78% efficiency right now. its a little low according to style guidelines, but I'm trying to make something highly drinkable for the 2nd half of the NFL season!! This has 18 IBUs with the rager formula.

I think the Munich malt will make it on the dark end of a Helles. IMO, Munich malt isn't necessary in a helles, but it's certainly not out of place, so to each his own. One of the trademarks of a Helles is for it to be as light/bright as possible, hence the name.

Also, I'd change the fermentation/lagering schedule a bit... more like 2 weeks primary, 6 weeks lagering. I know a lot of homebrewers keep lagers in the primary for 3 to 4 weeks, but I've never had one not be ready to transfer to lagering at 2 weeks and it's best to get lagers off the primary yeast/sediment as soon as it is convenient.

i'm in the no-munich camp as well, (personally I like 90% pilsner 10% carapils), but your recipe looks just fine the way it is.

maybe i'm nitpicking, but helles is supposed to be slightly sweet and 150 might come out pretty dry. what do I know though, I'm a decoction guy. I agree that 4 weeks seems long in the primary too, but your recipe is only off on very minor details.

In agreement with menschmaschine and markg388 about the Munich malt. A Helles is pilsner malt like a German pils. It is softer and perhaps slightly sweeter due to the differences in hop rates, water and yeast strains compared to its' pils cousin. Leave the Munich in if you must, the beer will still be good.

I would probably just go straight German Pilsner malt. A well made helles is a showcase of pilsner malt.

Thanks for the input everybody, I will more than likely back the Munich way down or drop it completely.

What do you think about the yeast strain? Right now I'm fermenting 10 gallons of Pilsner, same batch of wort but 5 gallons with WLP833 Bock yeast and 5 with WLP830 German Lager. I have also used WLP838 Southern German Lager with great success. I want to find one strain and stick with it...any one like one of these over the others for your German lagers?

I have always had great luck with the WLP830. I bet if you are drinking a German helles, it was made with that yeast.

Agree with WLP830 (aka Wyeast 2124), prob my fave lager strain.

And just my opinion but I would keep the Munich, all of it. 2# of German Light Munich (which if Weyermann is only 6* L) in a 10 gal batch won't make it too dark ime. In a Pils I might not use it but in a Helles I would. But then, I just really like German Munich malts. I thought your grain bill was about perfect as is.

WLP830 is a great all-around German lager yeast and it is the same as Saflager W-34/70 dry yeast (at least 2 packs per 5 gallons). I use that for all my German lagers because I hate making giant starters (stepping up, etc.).

Also, you may want to switch to strat_thru_voxAC30... the tone is better.:D

Richie Blackmore always said he preferred his AC30s but they just weren't loud enough.

Is he deaf? AC30 volumes go to 11. I can't even turn it up to 3 in my house without blowing out my ear drum. In any case, that's what a Shure SM57 and a PA system is for!

[Sorry to derail your thread, strat_thru_marshall!]

Back