Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jloewe

Reaction score
Posted this originally as a partial mash but it’s developed in all extract.

It’s a Father’s Day project between my dad and I.

Want a more traditional and crisp flavor.

5lbs wheat dme
1lbs Pilsner
1oz tettnag
WL-300

dme Is all breiss which is about 60% wheat on its own. This will bring us to what would be 5lbs wheat 3.3lbs 2 row 1.6lbs Pilsner for a 50/50 wheat to barely ratio.

for the boil I’ll probably add 3lbs wheat at 60min. 2lbs wheat at 30min 1bs Pilsner at 10min

tettnag at 60min

Basement is usually about 62-63 degrees even in the summer. Might get to 65 during a heatwave so I plan to pitch below and let ambient temp slowly and naturally rise getting a good balance of banana and clove.

Am I on the right track?

I'm having trouble following your math. Where does the 2-row come in? Partial mash? Assumed portion of the wheat DME? But here are a couple facts that might help.

Briess wheat DME is made from 65% Wheat Malt and 35% "Barley" Malt. Briess doen't say what kind of barley malt, but given the typical application, I'd be suprised if it wasn't Pilsner.

Traditional Hefes can be up to 70% Wheat Malt. There's nothing wrong with 65% Wheat Malt and 35% Pilsner Malt as a Hefe grain bill.

2 row is assumed DME. Figured it’s the cheapest malt there is so whenever I see “barley” or “malt” it’s probably 2 row.

I know we can do more wheat. Maybe I have it backwards but I figured more Pilsner or barley will make a crisper, more refreshing beer and more wheat would make a heavier more luxurious beer.

I think you ought to consider two things:
1. Disolve the DME late additions before you add them. Adding DME to hot, boiling wort will create a cloud of DME and, possibly, allow scorching of DME on the kettle bottom.
2. I think some aroma and, possibly, some flavor hops would be good. I love Tettnang, but Hallertau would be good too.
Have a good Father's Day.

Last edited:
I think you ought to consider two things:
1. Disolve the DME late additions before youmadd them. Adding DME to hot, boiling wort will create a cloud of DME and, possible, allow scorching of DME on the kettle bottom.
2. I think som aroma and, possibly, some flavor hops would be good. I love Tettnang, but Hallertau would be good too.
Have a good Father's Day.

Are you talking like a second hop late addition? Or maybe a dry hop for aroma?

Great idea about the DME honestly never even thought of that

Are you talking like a second hop late addition? Or maybe a dry hop for aroma?

Great idea about the DME honestly never even thought of that
I was thinking maybe 1/2 oz at 15 or 10 minutes for flavor and 1/2 oz at 2 minutes or flame out for aroma.

I have recently started doing late additions of DME and doing 30 minute boils. I'm very happy with the results. I've posted about this in "I brewed a favorite recipe today" on the Extract Brewing forum if you're interested. You want to think about dissolving that DME because adding it as a powder to hot wort is messy.

Last edited:
I was thinking maybe 1/2 oz at 15 or 10 minutes for flavor and 1/2 oz at 2 minutes or flame out for aroma.

I have recently started doing late additions of DME and doing 30 minute boils. I'm very happy with the results. I've posted about this in "I brewed a favorite recipe today" on the Extract Brewing forum if you're interested. You want to think about dissolving that DME because adding it as a powder to hot wort is messy.
In addition to or instead of the typical tettnag at 60?

In addition to or instead of the typical tettnag at 60?
In addition. I don't know what you're used to doing, but in general hops are added to a boil for 60 minutes for bitterness, 15 minutes for flavor, and 2 minutes for aroma. Your beer only had a bitterness hopping. That's not wrong; I just think some aroma hops would be good with your hefe.

Got all my ingredients and I’m ready to go on Sunday. Ambient temp in the basement is about 65. Should I do not have a chiller I’d have to ghetto rig a swamp cooler. Is 65 good for wlp300 or should I at least think a wet towel or something since we’re kinda right on the line?

Ambient temp in the basement is about 65. Should I do not have a chiller I’d have to ghetto rig a swamp cooler. Is 65 good for wlp300 or should I at least think a wet towel or something since we’re kinda right on the line?

IMO 65F ambient should work fine for a hefe with WLP300. The temperature of the fermenting wort/beer will be a few degrees higher than the ambient temp.

Ok in the fermenter. Ended up pitching at about 68. OG 1.3. Ambient temps about 65. Will update when done.

Might be a little off of a reading. I took a little off with a turkey baster and didn’t mix the extract to well. We’ll see how it turns out.

for the boil I’ll probably add 3lbs wheat at 60min. 2lbs wheat at 30min 1bs Pilsner at 10min
I think it's easier to add all the late extract at flameout. Then the boil doesn't stop before the time is up. I don't know any advantage in adding the late extract as two separate additions. As a bonus, the late extract will cool the wort a little. This helps since you don't have a chiller.
Edit: I let it sit for 10 minutes to pasteurize after adding the late extract.

I think it's easier to add all the late extract at flameout. Then the boil doesn't stop before the time is up. I don't know any advantage in adding the late extract as two separate additions. As a bonus, the late extract will cool the wort a little. This helps since you don't have a chiller.
Edit: I let it sit for 10 minutes to pasteurize after adding the late extract.
I’ll try that next time. Already sitting in the fermenter. Can’t wait!

Hefeweizen bottled! Samples were delicious. Strong banana aroma slight flavor. Wish there was some clove but it’s hard to tell. There’s actually a really good lemon flavor that makes it very drinkable. Will report back when carbed and cool for a final verdict.

Hefeweizen final review!

A hazy blond. Pour was just meh. No head to speak of but with all base malt and only on oz of hops didn’t expect any.

Thin and crisp feel. I had a not so cold one the other day that was very banana forward but it’s much more muted and balanced cold. Warmer or strait out of the bottle even had bubblegum notes.

Bread notes clove is more of an afterthought but it’s a great beer. So light and refreshing you could almost mistake it for lemon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
A hazy blond. Pour was just meh. No head to speak of but with all base malt and only on oz of hops didn’t expect any.

I don't know why you're not getting good foam retention with this beer, but it wouldn't be because of the grain bill. Wheat malt should make for lots of foam retention, which is quite typical for a hefe (which are typically just pilsner, wheat malt, and small amount of hops).

Hefeweizen final review!
No head to speak of but with all base malt and only on oz of hops didn’t expect any.

@VikeMan, makes a good point about wheat, but I agree with you that steeped grains help head retention. It is also possible that it might carb up a bit more as it's only 2 week in the bottle. Several of my favorite recipes involve no steeping grains, but I don't experience lack of carbonation, unless I get an improperly sealed bottle.
If it never does carb up, you can consider the amount of priming sugar you use. If it turns out variable, you can work on the mixing in of the priming sugar.

Back