Hefeweizen

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Jloewe

Reaction score
Posted this originally as a partial mash but it’s developed in all extract.

It’s a Father’s Day project between my dad and I.

Want a more traditional and crisp flavor.

5lbs wheat dme
1lbs Pilsner
1oz tettnag
WL-300

dme Is all breiss which is about 60% wheat on its own. This will bring us to what would be 5lbs wheat 3.3lbs 2 row 1.6lbs Pilsner for a 50/50 wheat to barely ratio.

for the boil I’ll probably add 3lbs wheat at 60min. 2lbs wheat at 30min 1bs Pilsner at 10min

tettnag at 60min

Basement is usually about 62-63 degrees even in the summer. Might get to 65 during a heatwave so I plan to pitch below and let ambient temp slowly and naturally rise getting a good balance of banana and clove.

Am I on the right track?

VikeMan

It ain't all burritos and strippers, my friend.
Reaction score
I'm having trouble following your math. Where does the 2-row come in? Partial mash? Assumed portion of the wheat DME? But here are a couple facts that might help.

Briess wheat DME is made from 65% Wheat Malt and 35% "Barley" Malt. Briess doen't say what kind of barley malt, but given the typical application, I'd be suprised if it wasn't Pilsner.

Traditional Hefes can be up to 70% Wheat Malt. There's nothing wrong with 65% Wheat Malt and 35% Pilsner Malt as a Hefe grain bill.

OP
J

Jloewe

Reaction score
2 row is assumed DME. Figured it’s the cheapest malt there is so whenever I see “barley” or “malt” it’s probably 2 row.

I know we can do more wheat. Maybe I have it backwards but I figured more Pilsner or barley will make a crisper, more refreshing beer and more wheat would make a heavier more luxurious beer.

D.B.Moody

Reaction score
I think you ought to consider two things:
1. Disolve the DME late additions before you add them. Adding DME to hot, boiling wort will create a cloud of DME and, possibly, allow scorching of DME on the kettle bottom.
2. I think some aroma and, possibly, some flavor hops would be good. I love Tettnang, but Hallertau would be good too.
Have a good Father's Day.

Last edited:
OP
J

Jloewe

Reaction score
I think you ought to consider two things:
1. Disolve the DME late additions before youmadd them. Adding DME to hot, boiling wort will create a cloud of DME and, possible, allow scorching of DME on the kettle bottom.
2. I think som aroma and, possibly, some flavor hops would be good. I love Tettnang, but Hallertau would be good too.
Have a good Father's Day.
Are you talking like a second hop late addition? Or maybe a dry hop for aroma?

Great idea about the DME honestly never even thought of that

D.B.Moody

Reaction score
Are you talking like a second hop late addition? Or maybe a dry hop for aroma?

Great idea about the DME honestly never even thought of that
I was thinking maybe 1/2 oz at 15 or 10 minutes for flavor and 1/2 oz at 2 minutes or flame out for aroma.

I have recently started doing late additions of DME and doing 30 minute boils. I'm very happy with the results. I've posted about this in "I brewed a favorite recipe today" on the Extract Brewing forum if you're interested. You want to think about dissolving that DME because adding it as a powder to hot wort is messy.

Last edited:
OP
J

Jloewe

Reaction score
I was thinking maybe 1/2 oz at 15 or 10 minutes for flavor and 1/2 oz at 2 minutes or flame out for aroma.

I have recently started doing late additions of DME and doing 30 minute boils. I'm very happy with the results. I've posted about this in "I brewed a favorite recipe today" on the Extract Brewing forum if you're interested. You want to think about dissolving that DME because adding it as a powder to hot wort is messy.
In addition to or instead of the typical tettnag at 60?

D.B.Moody

Reaction score
In addition to or instead of the typical tettnag at 60?
In addition. I don't know what you're used to doing, but in general hops are added to a boil for 60 minutes for bitterness, 15 minutes for flavor, and 2 minutes for aroma. Your beer only had a bitterness hopping. That's not wrong; I just think some aroma hops would be good with your hefe.

Latest posts