Bavarian Hefeweizen, 2-3 gallon from DME, thoughts on ratio and yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankdontsurf

Reaction score
I'm not new, but this would be my actual first batch..

I was thinking 2.8lbs Bavarian Wheat DME, 1lbs German Pilsner DME for my base? That would make it about 50/50 like a traditional Bavarian Hefe.

I would like to harvest my yeast & I want my beer cloudy and fruity. I know temperature matters, but it seems in yeast descriptions they talk about the clove notes and never the banana/fruit. Looking to ferment 2~gallons.

I was going to order WLP300, not sure if another is recommended?

Wheat DME is usually a 65/35 split of wheat and barley, unless they specify otherwise. Briess is anyway, so using more barley-based DME isn't necessary for hefe. WLP300 is a great yeast. Ferment a bit warmer for more fruit (68-70).

I can only speak the language in 5 gallon batches, but you can scale from there.

I have made many Hefe's looking for the right combo and I nailed it (to my taste preferences) thru trial and error. Two factors aside from the recipe can make the Hefe special....Fermentation temps and yeast.

I played with grain ratios and settled on 65% wheat malts (light wheat) and 35% base malts such as 2 row or Pilsner malts. My wife likes her Hefe to be lemonade yellow (SRM 2.5-3) but I like mine a shade darker like 4 SRM. You can achieve this with a few ounces of Melanoidin malts thrown in mainly for color. I know you are doing DME, but Melanoidin can be a steeping grain for you.

I also settled on Wyeast 3068, just pop the activator in the smack pack, let it swell and pitch it straight in the cooled and aerated wort. (OK I am at 5 G remember)

Lastly is fermentation temperature. I have been all over the place...believe me. I have settled in on 67F for two weeks in the primary. Rack to keg, carb, drink young. Or bottle if you choose.

The end result is a beautiful banana aroma that is subtle and soft. A fellow taster picked up on another flavor but had trouble describing it. Clove I asked? HECK YEAH...that's it...Clove! You always know you did it right when a flavor doesn't smack you in the face but plays a supporting role.

a recipe calculator can help you figure quantities. I use this one...
http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/calculator/
it's easy & it's free
wlp300 is a great choice & can give you what you're looking for. I recommend under pitching (maybe 25-50% the suggested rate) if you like yours fruity.

Awesome thanks.

Wheat DME is usually a 65/35 split of wheat and barley, unless they specify otherwise. Briess is anyway, so using more barley-based DME isn't necessary for hefe. WLP300 is a great yeast. Ferment a bit warmer for more fruit (68-70).

Makes sense, so either use the Briess as is, or mix my own two types. Thank you!

I can only speak the language in 5 gallon batches, but you can scale from there.

I have made many Hefe's looking for the right combo and I nailed it (to my taste preferences) thru trial and error. Two factors aside from the recipe can make the Hefe special....Fermentation temps and yeast.

I played with grain ratios and settled on 65% wheat malts (light wheat) and 35% base malts such as 2 row or Pilsner malts. My wife likes her Hefe to be lemonade yellow (SRM 2.5-3) but I like mine a shade darker like 4 SRM. You can achieve this with a few ounces of Melanoidin malts thrown in mainly for color. I know you are doing DME, but Melanoidin can be a stepping grain for you.

I also settled on Wyeast 3068, just pop the activator in the smack pack, let it swell and pitch it straight in the cooled and aerated wort. (OK I am at 5 G remember)

Lastly is fermentation temperature. I have been all over the place...believe me. I have settled in on 67F for two weeks in the primary. Rack to keg, carb, drink young. Or bottle if you choose.

The end result is a beautiful banana aroma that is subtle and soft. A fellow taster picked up on another flavor but had trouble describing it. Clove I asked? HECK YEAH...that's it...Clove! You always know you did it right when a flavor doesn't smack you in the face but plays a supporting role.

So you described what I'm hoping to hit. I will follow your outline and work from there, but the way you described the flavors is what I like. I enjoy the clove in the background but the fruity aroma. I also like it a little thick in mouth feel and fizzy.. Any advice there?

So you described what I'm hoping to hit. I will follow your outline and work from there, but the way you described the flavors is what I like. I enjoy the clove in the background but the fruity aroma. I also like it a little thick in mouth feel and fizzy.. Any advice there?

Sure. The wheat percentage is what is going to give you that great mouthfeel you desire. I tried 50/50...no go. 55/45.....nope. Finally 65% wheat/35% base/pils hit the note I was looking for. There's your mouthfeel.

Carb level is another key ingredient in a great Hefe. You want it a bit on the well carbed side. You can easily look up carb levels suggested in various charts, but I control mine by CO2 psi into keg. I like mine fizzy too! I just turn up the gas til it suits me....how scientific is this??? LOL If you bottle, look at the correct amount of priming sugar you need to produce a desired carb volume. There is a chart or two out there to tell you how much priming sugar to use per volume and the carb level you will achieve. Fizzy...that's good!

I usually carb my beer with two glucose tabs per 22oz.bottle. At around 65F ambient, it takes three to four weeks to condition out the acetaldehyde.

My last wheat done with WLP351 came out ok. Plenty of carbonation but no lasting foam. Clove was noticeable and I did do a 30min. rest around 113F with the steeping grains. Ferment temp was consistently around 61F, no noticeable banana esters.
If you can find Spaten Brau's Franziskaner Weizen (German import) it is a good example of a fairly balanced wheat beer with mild, but noticeable banana in it.

I usually carb my beer with two glucose tabs per 22oz.bottle. At around 65F ambient, it takes three to four weeks to condition out the acetaldehyde.

My last wheat done with WLP351 came out ok. Plenty of carbonation but no lasting foam. Clove was noticeable and I did do a 30min. rest around 113F with the steeping grains. Ferment temp was consistently around 61F, no noticeable banana esters.
If you can find Spaten Brau's Franziskaner Weizen (German import) it is a good example of a fairly balanced wheat beer with mild, but noticeable banana in it.

One of my favoritos, and my first ever of this style of beer. Im going to search for a clone. Thank you for the reminder.

One thing to consider when sampling imported Hefe's as a style guide is the length of time from their brewery to your glass. Hefe's are vibrant and flavorful when consumed quite young and fresh. That vibrancy has a tendency to fade with time. If you sample a true German beer that has sat in a brewery's warehouse, sat in a loading container, shipped overseas, sat in an importer's warehouse....you get the idea. Plain and simple, that's why the Hefe beers we homebrew carefully are the better choice in many regards.

One thing to consider when sampling imported Hefe's as a style guide is the length of time from their brewery to your glass. Hefe's are vibrant and flavorful when consumed quite young and fresh. That vibrancy has a tendency to fade with time. If you sample a true German beer that has sat in a brewery's warehouse, sat in a loading container, shipped overseas, sat in an importer's warehouse....you get the idea. Plain and simple, that's why the Hefe beers we homebrew carefully are the better choice in many regards.

My local liquor store has a ton of dusty German imports on a little lonely shelf in the bottom rear of the store. I think I'm the only one who goes by and pick a bottle or two up every once in a while. I'm talking it's been years. Lol, they are probably doing some sort of rotation?

My local liquor store has a ton of dusty German imports on a little lonely shelf in the bottom rear of the store. I think I'm the only one who goes by and pick a bottle or two up every once in a while. I'm talking it's been years. Lol, they are probably doing some sort of rotation?

Do they offer anything else like Brett Saisons that benefit for years of again?

I'm not new, but this would be my actual first batch..

Sorry, I have nothing constructive to add but this made me smile. Kind of like - I'm not a virgin, but this would be my actual first time.. ;)

I assume it's your first Hefe. Carry on, I'm sure it will be good
:mug:

Back