Hefeweizen then and now

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JulietKilo

Reaction score
Bottled a batch of hefeweizen today which turned out unusually clear? 10 day primary and 10 day secondary. Only recently started giving my hefe's a secondary, previous weren't this clear though.

Compare to one of my first, super murky with at least 1/4 inch of yeast on the bottom, primary only and doubt I even gave it a full week, I learned what lots of live yeast does to ones guts :)

IMG_0075.JPG

IMG_3608.JPG

Bottled a batch of hefeweizen today which turned out unusually clear, 10 day primary and 10 day secondary.

Compare to one of my first, murky with 1/4 inch of yeast on the bottom, primary only and doubt I gave it a full week.

now cold-crash it. I bet you it will be even more clear!

very very nice job.

Cold crash is when you bring a fermented beer down below 40° for a certain amount of time (I do 24-48 hours) to drop suspended yeast and other things in the beer which prohibit clarity.

exactly - but do it after you carbonate (if you do it in the bottle).
I brewed a HeFe recently as well (still finishing fermenting) and it's amazing what a difference cold-crashing makes.
Hefeweizen is meant to be a bit cloudy (when unfiltered) but I agree it should not be downright "muddy".

I like a cloudy hefe, but that top one does look nice. I wouldn't bother cold crashing or doing anything more to clear it up, it looks great as is. Love the colour too, mine are a lot more yellow than orange.

If it tastes good then you are doing better than me :rockin:

I like a cloudy hefe, but that top one does look nice. I wouldn't bother cold crashing or doing anything more to clear it up, it looks great as is. Love the colour too, mine are a lot more yellow than orange.

If it tastes good then you are doing better than me :rockin:

I'm wondering if I'll prefer a cloudy hefe too? Never had one come out clear before, seems un-hefe, yet pretty. Can't wait to try it!

The color is probably from the LME, when/if I go to AG mine will be yellow too.

Back