Hefeweizen starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stein

Reaction score
I plan on brewing Sunday. I will create my starter Thursday morning, let it ferment 24 hours on a stir plate, and then put it in the fridge until Sunday morning and then decant. Is this enough time? I've had bad luck decanting in the past, when yeast doesn't settle out of suspension in time. I always feel like I'm pouring out yeast.

Hefeweizen yeast will make you feel even worse...:p

For 5-gallon batch of a normal-gravity hefe, a simple, not-decanted 1L starter at the beginning of brew day is all you need (IMO...). Those guys are ferocious maltose munchers.

Thanks. I am coming off of my first bad batch ever and this is my rebound batch to make up for it. My first ever lager didn't turn out as expected. I pitched a 1.5 L starter of the most aerated wort into the beer, and I swear some of that nastiness came through in the finished product. It could have been something else, but I'm paranoid and superstitious now, and I will be decanting from here on out.

Latest posts

Back