Hefeweizen Addition Question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky137

Reaction score
So I just recently brewed up an extract Hef, with 6.6 lb Wheat LME. I added all of the extract at the beginning, and the wort came out super dark - similar to the color of my American Pale Ale. I know that the volume makes the beer look darker, but even considering that, it seems excessively so.

Will this lighten at all as it ferments out? Or will I be stuck with a dark Hef? I'm sure it'll taste fine, maybe even great, but I was hoping for that classic golden Hef color.

Also, anything I can do to lighten it up?

Thanks!

A picture would help but I'm going to guess you'll have to live with a dark Hef. It's really hard to brew a truly light complected beer with LME. They still taste fine, they just come out looking a little dark. Typically, you have to go to AG to make the really light colored beers look right.

Then again, I'm guessing at this point. You'll only know for sure when you pour your first pint. It may look fine.

Extracts will make a beer look a little darker than AG brewing. Like you said, the volume of the beer and having it in a bucket or carboy will make it look darker. To measure my OG I use a wine thief. I get a good idea on the color of the beer then.

Liquid is always dark, and in the case of heffes, I think they taste off when made with lme. DME always for me when making heffes.

Liquid is always dark, and in the case of heffes, I think they taste off when made with lme. DME always for me when making heffes.

This makes me feel great! (/sarcasm). I will certainly try with DME next time, but I'm more worried about how this batch will turn out... Anyone else have any input to help settle my nerves??

Thanks

Anyone else have any input to help settle my nerves??
If the LME was fresh, the beer will be fine. And, if you used a german hefeweizen yeast (eg WLP300), the flavor contributed by the yeast will be the dominant characteristic of the beer.

So, RDWHAHB and use DME next time.

If the LME was fresh, the beer will be fine. And, if you used a german hefeweizen yeast (eg WLP300), the flavor contributed by the yeast will be the dominant characteristic of the beer.

So, RDWHAHB and use DME next time.

LME was fresh as far as I know, and I used Wyeast American Wheat 1010, which was the best thing my LHBS had... I have to say, the airlock does smell beautiful.

So in the future, I can use 100% DME?

Thanks

Yes, you can use all DME. Just make sure to adjust the recipe. You'll need less DME than LME.

My Hef recipe calls for LME and IMO, it has a caramelized malt flavor and is also very dark. The batch I have in bottle now was done with a late addition method to see if I can reduce both color and heavy malt flavor. I put in 1/3 of the LME at boil and the remaining 2/3 at flame out. The samples were much lighter both in color and flavor, now to see how it tastes once all carb'd up. BTW, I reduced the hops as well to keep it balanced.

I will be trying DME for my next Hef batch for sure

Enjoy
Toy4Rick

My Hef recipe calls for LME and IMO, it has a caramelized malt flavor and is also very dark. The batch I have in bottle now was done with a late addition method to see if I can reduce both color and heavy malt flavor. I put in 1/3 of the LME at boil and the remaining 2/3 at flame out. The samples were much lighter both in color and flavor, now to see how it tastes once all carb'd up. BTW, I reduced the hops as well to keep it balanced.

I will be trying DME for my next Hef batch for sure

Enjoy
Toy4Rick

Was the beer decently drinkable at least? Or was it caramelized to the point of not-so-greatness?

Hey again,

It was very drinkable, everyone who has tasted it was pleased or so they said so :tank: I just started to crack open my latest batch with the LME late addition and it's much better, lighter in color and in the caramelized malt flavor. I really like it. IMO, it would be good to try it with DME instead as a comparison, maybe down the road.

Toy4Rick

Lucky137 said:
So I just recently brewed up an extract Hef, with 6.6 lb Wheat LME. I added all of the extract at the beginning, and the wort came out super dark - similar to the color of my American Pale Ale. I know that the volume makes the beer look darker, but even considering that, it seems excessively so.

Will this lighten at all as it ferments out? Or will I be stuck with a dark Hef? I'm sure it'll taste fine, maybe even great, but I was hoping for that classic golden Hef color.

Also, anything I can do to lighten it up?

Thanks!

I did a hefe LME kit a month and a half ago. It was in primary for a month and has been bottle conditioning for the past 2 weeks. It looked dark for the entire process (almost a rusty color). I sacrificed two bottles 4 days ago, after 2 days in the fridge. Tasted great, nicely carbed, and the color looks like a traditional Hefe. Moral to the story, RDWHAHB! :)

I was worried because I had a little bit of scorching on the bottom of the brew pot. This is my first batch of home brew (I have an oatmeal stout fermenting now) and I thought the scorching caused the dark color.

My opinion, don't worry too much about it. I think your beer should be fine.

Have fun with it!

I just did a hefe with all DME and did a late extract addition. I did 3# @ 60 minutes and the remaining 3# @ 15 minutes. I made the mistake of not adjusting the hop schedule at the beginning of the boil and the sample I drank from the hydrometer reading tasted a little more bitter than I expected for a hefe but its hardly noticable.

If you do an all DME hefe, I'd suggest doing a late addition and adjusting the hop schedule to accomodate.

I brewed up a hefe about two months ago and mine was darker than expected. An extract recipe will be darker. Try adding only half of your extract at the beginning of your boil and the rest about 15-20 min. from the end. The LME darkens as it boils. My tastes were spot on, but the color was off. Just tell your friends that you made a custom dunkleweissen and leave it at that.

Latest posts

Back