Hefe still fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valupak

Reaction score
Hello all. New guy to the forums but I have been reading for years. I have a little question.

I brewed my first Hefeweizen a little while ago, on the 13th. Did a decoction and had some pretty great looking wort. I had an OG of 1.062 and pitched Wyeast 3068. It bubbled like crazy, as I have always heard the Hefes do. I used a blowoff tube. Placed the airlock at about 48 hours in. But here we are, now on the 22nd, and it is still bubbling about every 5 seconds. I did oxygenate the wort with 02 for 1 minute with a stainless bubbler. Is this odd for this yeast to stilll be bubbling every 5 seconds?

How about taking a gravity reading? That would be my first step to seeing what's up.

Bubbles at this point could be nothing more than pressure changes or temp fluctuations.

My guess is its already done and should be packaged. Every Hefe I've ever brewed with 3068 Finished in 7 days easy and was packaged within a week of FG. Usually grain to glass in 21 days

i've brewed MANY hefe's ( 1 of my favorite styles ). yes, it's done, so take your reading , make sure it's done, and bottle. i bet it's just off-gassing ( getting rid of extra co2 generated during fermentation )

I see most German wheat beers I make take between 5-7 days to finish. I cold crash for three days, take maybe a week to bottle condition. So I'm in the three week fan club.

Back