Quantcast

hefe fermenting question

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Neddy

Active Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2005
Messages
30
Reaction score
5
I brewed up my second batch of homebrew a week ago. Its a hefeweizen kit from my local homebrew shop using White Labs Hefeweizen yeast. It had a vigourous ferment from the start. I had to change to a blowoff tube set up on day 2 when my airlock was infiltrated. I left that there for 3 days then put the regular airlock back in. It has now been 7 days and the air lock had slowed to 3 bubbles per minute. I sanitized my secodary and racking equipment and opened the primary bucket to find a pretty thick kraeusen still sitting on top of my wort. I sanitized my lid and airlock again and replaced them. My question is, should I just wait a few more days hoping the kraeusen has fallen by then or just go ahead and skim it off and rack to my secondary?
 

ryansanders

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
77
Reaction score
6
Location
Chico
Definitely wait for a few more days. Two weeks, in fact, is a typically good time-frame to wait for primary fermentation to finish up. If you don't like waiting any extra time, you can get a hydrometer and begin to take readings. If the gravity you read doesn't change for two to three days, you can feel confident that it is time to rack!
 

JonM

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 10, 2010
Messages
9,321
Reaction score
4,151
Location
Milwaukee
Or you could skip the secondary all together and just bottle when the gravity is stable.

Secondaries are for clearing and hefeweizens aren't supposed to be clear. And they're best fresh, so no need to waste time in a secondary.
 

Upthewazzu

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2013
Messages
1,071
Reaction score
205
Location
Pullman, WA
Hefe or not, I generally secondary. 2 weeks primary, 1 week secondary, and then into the keg she goes.
 

Adaman05

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2012
Messages
365
Reaction score
40
Location
Madison
Ixnay to the secondary for a hefe. Or for anything really unless you need to add fruit/oak chips or multi-stage dry hops.

I turn around a hefe in 7-10 days. With proper fermentation temps and pitching techniques, as long as you are at a stable final gravity you can go ahead and bottle. Trust your hydrometer.
 

ryansanders

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
77
Reaction score
6
Location
Chico
I turn around a hefe in 7-10 days. With proper fermentation temps and pitching techniques, as long as you are at a stable final gravity you can go ahead and bottle. Trust your hydrometer.

Assuming you have one. OP, don't just wait ten days and bottle, though :) either error on the side of putting a few more days in or get a hydro. Your choice!


www.betterbeerkits.com
 

ryansanders

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
77
Reaction score
6
Location
Chico
I turn around a hefe in 7-10 days. With proper fermentation temps and pitching techniques, as long as you are at a stable final gravity you can go ahead and bottle. Trust your hydrometer.

Assuming you have one. OP, don't just wait ten days and bottle, though :) either err on the side of putting a few more days in or get a hydro. Your choice!
 
OP
N

Neddy

Active Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2005
Messages
30
Reaction score
5
Definitely wait for a few more days. Two weeks, in fact, is a typically good time-frame to wait for primary fermentation to finish up. If you don't like waiting any extra time, you can get a hydrometer and begin to take readings. If the gravity you read doesn't change for two to three days, you can feel confident that it is time to rack!
Thanks for the tip, but please check the date on the original post. It was over 9 years ago.

I've got many Hefe's under my belt now - I've even scored 40+ on a couple in BJCP competitions. Looking back its funny because knowing what I know vs. what I didn't know then - now I'd never use a secondary, I'd keg and force carb as soon as final gravity is stable for a few days and enjoy quickly.
 

chawn

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 26, 2014
Messages
311
Reaction score
48
Thanks for the tip, but please check the date on the original post. It was over 9 years ago.

I've got many Hefe's under my belt now - I've even scored 40+ on a couple in BJCP competitions. Looking back its funny because knowing what I know vs. what I didn't know then - now I'd never use a secondary, I'd keg and force carb as soon as final gravity is stable for a few days and enjoy quickly.
Not bad though, it got you to reply to a forum that you haven't made a post in over 3 years!
 

beekeeperman

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 5, 2014
Messages
240
Reaction score
26
Location
Maine
Is this unusual ? Used the liquid hefe yeast WL 300. Been fermenting in the mid 60s range. Seems rather long no-yes ?
Piggybacking an old thread i know.
 
OP
N

Neddy

Active Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2005
Messages
30
Reaction score
5
With a proper pitch size and Temps hefe yeast will usually finish fermentation in around a week. You usually need a blow off tube unless your primary fermentation vessel is much larger than typical for your barley size. I typically ferment a hefe at 68-69 and raise the temp to around 72-73 slowly after the first 2/3 of fermentation to find is thing up.

Your probaby a little colder than the yeast would like.
 

JonM

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 10, 2010
Messages
9,321
Reaction score
4,151
Location
Milwaukee
Jamil recommends 62F, and I use that temp with tremendous success.
 

Adaman05

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2012
Messages
365
Reaction score
40
Location
Madison
With a proper pitch size and Temps hefe yeast will usually finish fermentation in around a week. You usually need a blow off tube unless your primary fermentation vessel is much larger than typical for your barley size. I typically ferment a hefe at 68-69 and raise the temp to around 72-73 slowly after the first 2/3 of fermentation to find is thing up.

Your probaby a little colder than the yeast would like.
I also prefer the higher temps, particularly with 3068 yeast, to get the most banana flavor (and as little clove as possible).
 

beekeeperman

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 5, 2014
Messages
240
Reaction score
26
Location
Maine
After 13 days in the primary my 1st hefe reading is FG of 1.017, kinda high. Suppose to be 1.010-1.012 .Hit SG ok at 1.052 according to the kit.
It stopped airlock activity on day 9-10.
What might be the reason for this high FG ? Any guesses ? Underpitched ?
Seems to taste ok. Will be checking it again today but suspect it is done.
 

Zepth

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2014
Messages
1,226
Reaction score
287
Location
Ottawa
Thanks for the tip, but please check the date on the original post. It was over 9 years ago.
In that case I'd say that fermentation is complete. Go ahead and bottle whatever is left that hasn't evaporated yet.:D
 
Top