hefe fermenting question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neddy

Reaction score
I brewed up my second batch of homebrew a week ago. Its a hefeweizen kit from my local homebrew shop using White Labs Hefeweizen yeast. It had a vigourous ferment from the start. I had to change to a blowoff tube set up on day 2 when my airlock was infiltrated. I left that there for 3 days then put the regular airlock back in. It has now been 7 days and the air lock had slowed to 3 bubbles per minute. I sanitized my secodary and racking equipment and opened the primary bucket to find a pretty thick kraeusen still sitting on top of my wort. I sanitized my lid and airlock again and replaced them. My question is, should I just wait a few more days hoping the kraeusen has fallen by then or just go ahead and skim it off and rack to my secondary?

Definitely wait for a few more days. Two weeks, in fact, is a typically good time-frame to wait for primary fermentation to finish up. If you don't like waiting any extra time, you can get a hydrometer and begin to take readings. If the gravity you read doesn't change for two to three days, you can feel confident that it is time to rack!

Or you could skip the secondary all together and just bottle when the gravity is stable.

Secondaries are for clearing and hefeweizens aren't supposed to be clear. And they're best fresh, so no need to waste time in a secondary.

Hefe or not, I generally secondary. 2 weeks primary, 1 week secondary, and then into the keg she goes.

Ixnay to the secondary for a hefe. Or for anything really unless you need to add fruit/oak chips or multi-stage dry hops.

I turn around a hefe in 7-10 days. With proper fermentation temps and pitching techniques, as long as you are at a stable final gravity you can go ahead and bottle. Trust your hydrometer.

I turn around a hefe in 7-10 days. With proper fermentation temps and pitching techniques, as long as you are at a stable final gravity you can go ahead and bottle. Trust your hydrometer.

Assuming you have one. OP, don't just wait ten days and bottle, though :) either error on the side of putting a few more days in or get a hydro. Your choice!

www.betterbeerkits.com

Assuming you have one. OP, don't just wait ten days and bottle, though :) either err on the side of putting a few more days in or get a hydro. Your choice!

Definitely wait for a few more days. Two weeks, in fact, is a typically good time-frame to wait for primary fermentation to finish up. If you don't like waiting any extra time, you can get a hydrometer and begin to take readings. If the gravity you read doesn't change for two to three days, you can feel confident that it is time to rack!

Thanks for the tip, but please check the date on the original post. It was over 9 years ago.

I've got many Hefe's under my belt now - I've even scored 40+ on a couple in BJCP competitions. Looking back its funny because knowing what I know vs. what I didn't know then - now I'd never use a secondary, I'd keg and force carb as soon as final gravity is stable for a few days and enjoy quickly.

Thanks for the tip, but please check the date on the original post. It was over 9 years ago.

I've got many Hefe's under my belt now - I've even scored 40+ on a couple in BJCP competitions. Looking back its funny because knowing what I know vs. what I didn't know then - now I'd never use a secondary, I'd keg and force carb as soon as final gravity is stable for a few days and enjoy quickly.
Not bad though, it got you to reply to a forum that you haven't made a post in over 3 years!

Is this unusual ? Used the liquid hefe yeast WL 300. Been fermenting in the mid 60s range. Seems rather long no-yes ?
Piggybacking an old thread i know.

With a proper pitch size and Temps hefe yeast will usually finish fermentation in around a week. You usually need a blow off tube unless your primary fermentation vessel is much larger than typical for your barley size. I typically ferment a hefe at 68-69 and raise the temp to around 72-73 slowly after the first 2/3 of fermentation to find is thing up.

Your probaby a little colder than the yeast would like.

With a proper pitch size and Temps hefe yeast will usually finish fermentation in around a week. You usually need a blow off tube unless your primary fermentation vessel is much larger than typical for your barley size. I typically ferment a hefe at 68-69 and raise the temp to around 72-73 slowly after the first 2/3 of fermentation to find is thing up.

Your probaby a little colder than the yeast would like.

I also prefer the higher temps, particularly with 3068 yeast, to get the most banana flavor (and as little clove as possible).

After 13 days in the primary my 1st hefe reading is FG of 1.017, kinda high. Suppose to be 1.010-1.012 .Hit SG ok at 1.052 according to the kit.
It stopped airlock activity on day 9-10.
What might be the reason for this high FG ? Any guesses ? Underpitched ?
Seems to taste ok. Will be checking it again today but suspect it is done.

In that case I'd say that fermentation is complete. Go ahead and bottle whatever is left that hasn't evaporated yet.:D

Back