Heatwave! Brew OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucretius

Reaction score
If anyone else is on the West Coast... the heat wave has been nearly unbearable for me. It got up to 103 in Seattle (was 96 in my hometown yesterday!). Well, I can survive, got a nice tan out of it — but my brew... it was up to 77 yesterday (I put it in a cold water bath, but that didn't seem to affect the temp reading) and today it's up to 79F. Now, the primary fermentation should be complete, as this is near the end of week 2 of fermentation. But will this day affect it all that much? It's supposed to cool down to a reasonable temperature by the end of the week...

I just broke a sweat typing that... way too hot...

If your beer has been going for 2 weeks the heat should not bother it much. Cooler is better but what can you do.

Normally this time of year it's over a 100° with about that much humidity but today we stayed in the low 70s with very little humidity. Weird.

If the temp got that high at the end of two weeks, you should be okay. The initial days of fermentation are the most critical and can have a big affect on taste, aroma, etc., but once vigorous fermentation has slowed you shouldn't have a problem. I've brewed and the beer got up to about 78*, but it still turned out pretty well.

At this point in the process, the main concern would be increased oxidation (all chemical reactions, including oxidation, are sped up at higher temps), not off-esters, or hot alchohols. But, honestly, 79 is not THAT hot.

You'll be fine...

I've had a beer hit 82 in the fermenter...and it was an octoberfest...This was my early days of brewing before I payed attention to the low temps required. Nonetheless it actually turned into one of my favorite brews, and still tastes great. I plan to attempt a recreation of it soon if that tells you anything.

Seattle??? Try brewing in Phoenix in the middle of summer...Its 100 degrees by 10:00. If a fermentation fridge is not available the water, towel and ice are your best bet, I have had days when my roommate turned the AC up to 80 and the beer still turned out great.

Back