Heat sanitize with wort chiller during the boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KDogg

Reaction score
Ok so this was what the recipe called for. Attached is the snipper from the fresh Squeezed recipe from northern brewer. 'put malt in the wort with 15m remaining then heat sanitize using the wort chiller, then... Add hops at the end...'.

I didn't do this step as I wasn't all that prepared to do that, however, what would be the point here? Can anyone explain?

Attachments

• 29226.jpg
    29226.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 23
I see the context now. I was looking at the instructions during the boil and with the timing of additions I was assuming that step of heat sanitizing was less about sanitizing of the wort chiller and more about the timing of it and it's impact on beer taste.

I think while concentrating on the 'cooking' I would be less inclined to mix in the 'cleaning', as I always pre sterilize everything already so I don't have to do both during a critical period. I can see the reasoning though.

This was during the post tea bag, post first hop additions, and near the last 15m of wort boil.

Thanks

Don't mix up sterilising and sanitising. Sterilising something is not an easy task and is usually done under laboratory conditions. Sanitising can be done at home and is sufficient for brewing tasks.

I suppose 5 minutes would be sufficient to sanitize. Most of my beers the last 5 minutes is pretty busy with hop additions, so it is nice to have the chiller already taken care of at that time.

I've always done it around 7 mins. Normally right after I drop in 10 min additions or 15. When you turn the water on start "swirling around" the chiller. Try and make a whirlpool. The movement makes the liquid cool down way faster. Don't just let it sit. At around 160is i cover the kettle with tinfoil to avoid bugs. Then wait for about 20 more mins until it's reached ground water temp

Back