heartbroken

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyeyebrow

Reaction score
arrived home this evening to greet my little package that was delivered today a pouch kit of mangrove jacks pink grapefruit ipa the whole reason i got the homebrew bits to make tasty beers like this had my sunday planned to get it on the go and hop my first batch of blonde i done last sunday this is the only day i have time for this due to work and famliy so looks at the pack which says on the front only this i need are the basic tools this pouch and a certain amount of beer enhancer now no warning was given on description on site i got it from said extra ingredients needed so where do i stand now do i need to reorder enhancer and wait til next sunday or do wise brew heads here have any escape route for me ps please help

Pitch it.
"Beer enhancer" is some combination of dextrose, Maltodextrin, or DME.
It presumes a recipe that doesn't have enough "mouth feel."
I would trust most recipes to have already compensated for "mouth feel."
RDWAHAHB.

Pitch it.
"Beer enhancer" is some combination of dextrose, Maltodextrin, or DME.
It presumes a recipe that doesn't have enough "mouth feel."
I would trust most recipes to have already compensated for "mouth feel."
RDWAHAHB.
Look at this and see what u think can I get away without it
20190201_211635.jpeg
20190201_211609.jpeg
20190201_211701.jpeg

I

It still doesn't say what it is. Given that nobody else in the world sells or uses "beer enhancer", it sounds like some nonsense MG concocted to sell a product that is either
A: Totally unnecessary, or
B: Necessary to make up for a crappy kit.

Right but it says to use dextrose brewing sugar OR that so it is probably some marked-up type of sugar or DME they try to sell you. So the point is you can just use dextrose which is not hard to come by. Or just omit both.

I'm ultimate noob this is my second brew attempt no home brew shop where I live so I can't just pick this up in the local shops or markets

If you have dextorse or table sugar you could use that, or just skip that step, might not be as strong but if that doesn't matter brew on. :rock:

you should probably be able to find dextrose in the shops. its powdered corn sugar. use the amount listed on the pouch where it says "or" dextrose.

what the hell is beer enhancer?

Tends to only be sold in our part of the world. It's usually some combo of Dextose, DME, and Maltodextrine. Weird ****, if you ask me. Mangrove Jacks is a NZ company (as far as I remember), so I'm not surprosed they call for it.

If you brew this by adding table sugar you'll end up with a thin watery beer. You'd be better off using some dme. Or brew a smaller volume.

you know that thread "why do you come to homebrewtown"...where else can people get in a fight about something called, beer enhancer! lol, love it!:tank:

Sounds like marketing speak for "add a bunch of sugar to complete our "kit", sorry we're too cheap to do it ourselves", bunch of nonsense. Munton's, Cooper's, Mangrove Jack; all hucksters.

Not sayin' you can't make a good tasting beer with it, you just need to get your hands on some DME.
Good luck!

Sounds like marketing speak for "add a bunch of sugar to complete our "kit", sorry we're too cheap to do it ourselves", bunch of nonsense. Munton's, Cooper's, Mangrove Jack; all hucksters.

Not sayin' you can't make a good tasting beer with it, you just need to get your hands on some DME.
Good luck!

like what i've heard of early 80's homebrewing...

Not to sure why everyone is so confused by the beer enhancer or adding extra Extract.

It's an extremely common practice in the middle to low end Extract kits brew series all over the world (coopers, mentions, mangrove and a few others do it, though don't worry mangroves are at the top end of these).

Don't brew without adding the extra fermentable, and I would recommend using the LME/DME route. Brew enhancers are overpriced and mediocre.

Really, all it would take for most people here is to simply look at the companies websites for a few moments (both Coopers and Mangrove mention it). Especially when it comes to giving advice to a very new brewer.

My only options are glucose caster sugar or normal sugar been looking everywhere that's all I can find

If you do add sugar, just a warning it will heavily thin your beer out. If you want for a lower Abv (making more of an ISA) you could opt in to doing it with a pound of sugar (instead of a kilo). It will still thin it out noticeably but not terribly with those kits (done it before out of curiosity more than a few times, and works good for making a surprisingly crush able BMC - esque beer).

Do you mail order your material?

If you do add sugar, just a warning it will heavily thin your beer out. If you want for a lower Abv (making more of an ISA) you could opt in to doing it with a pound of sugar (instead of a kilo). It will still thin it out noticeably but not terribly with those kits (done it before out of curiosity more than a few times, and works good for making a surprisingly crush able BMC - esque beer).

Do you mail order your material?
Yep takes 3 days minimum to get to me no homebrew store around me

Yep takes 3 days minimum to get to me no homebrew store around me
That's not terrible for time to wait, just may mean having to put it off for a bit, but extract kits like yours are quick to do so it isn't a huge dilemma.

I would order the DME and wait. And if you have the money to burn, I would order bulk for the next time.

That's not terrible for time to wait, just may mean having to put it off for a bit, but extract kits like yours are quick to do so it isn't a huge dilemma.

I would order the DME and wait. And if you have the money to burn, I would order bulk for the next time.
Was just really looking forward to getting it going sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back