Splitting a 23 Litre Cider Kit into 2 fermenters..Can it be done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

second_skin

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a newbie here..

I am currently on an island for a few months, and for a bit of a hobby and interest, I thought I'd have a go at making cider..

I am using a Mangrove Jack's kit, bought online, due to limited access to real juices and fruits etc..

Along with limited access (having no brew stores etc), my fermentation can only be done in 2 x 12 litre drums..

This kit does 23 litres..

I was wondering if the 2 x 12 litre drums would work, if I split the pouch in half for each drum?

If it's possible, obviously I would stir the pouch up well, before evenly separating..

But my question is, will splitting the yeast into half (ie: 4.5grams) be sufficient for each 12 litre batch?

I bought extra yeast when I ordered the pouch, so can do a full 9 gram satchet in each drum, if it would be needed..

Thanks in advance
🙂

yup... should work...

Splitting the yeast should work, but pitching a full packet in each fermenter won't hurt anything if you're anxious...

OK sweet, thanks..

I was just concerned if you could overdose or under dose with the yeast..

Cheers đź‘Ť

You can definitely underpitch, but if you have the the proper amount for 23L, then splitting it should be fine.

Overpitch is less of an issue. So when in doubt, lean toward overpitch.

There's probably a yeast calculator somewhere on line that can give you some idea on proper amounts.

You can definitely underpitch, but if you have the the proper amount for 23L, then splitting it should be fine.

Overpitch is less of an issue. So when in doubt, lean toward overpitch.

There's probably a yeast calculator somewhere on line that can give you some idea on proper amounts.

OK thanks, I'll suss it out

Latest posts

Back