Heady Topper Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ballsy

Reaction score
Brewing the clone kit from AHBS and it called for no bittering hops? Just 30, 5, & 0 additions. Thought it a little odd. 1st brew I've ever done that was like that. Smelled awesome though!

Brewing the clone kit from AHBS and it called for no bittering hops? Just 30, 5, & 0 additions. Thought it a little odd. 1st brew I've ever done that was like that. Smelled awesome though!

I don't know that recipe, but all hops are bittering hops in a way. Consider 'hopbursting', when all hops are added at 20 minutes or less in the boil- it uses more hops but plenty of IBUs are extracted.

Thirty minute additions provide very little flavor, and more in bitterness, so they are bittering hops but it would be weird to have a recipe with the first hops at 30 minutes- I don't think I've ever seen that.

I don't know that recipe, but all hops are bittering hops in a way. Consider 'hopbursting', when all hops are added at 20 minutes or less in the boil- it uses more hops but plenty of IBUs are extracted.

Thirty minute additions provide very little flavor, and more in bitterness, so they are bittering hops but it would be weird to have a recipe with the first hops at 30 minutes- I don't think I've ever seen that.

I thought this as well, I know 30 minute is called a flavor addition but have read by many that it really adds more to bitterness than flavor. 10-15 min are more flavor and 0-5 are more aroma. It was 1.5 oz 30 min, 3 oz 5 min, and 3 oz 0 min. 3.5 oz dry hop. smelled awesome, but the fact that you have never seen first addition @30 min scares me a little hahaha.

When do you plan on dry hopping it?

brewed 2/28, dry hopped 3/18, kegged 3/24. OG 1.017. This kit was amazing. From what I remember it was a lot better than the Pliny clone from AHBS. Highly recommend it.

Back