Headspace

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RauelDuke

Reaction score
I am looking to ferment 2.5 gallons of wort in my 5 gallon bucket. I've done a little bit of reading about smaller batch brewing and I am wondering what negative side effects I might experience from all that headspace. It seems like if I don't open it ill be okay. Hopefully someone with a little more experience can weigh in.

I am looking to ferment 2.5 gallons of wort in my 5 gallon bucket. I've done a little bit of reading about smaller batch brewing and I am wondering what negative side effects I might experience from all that headspace. It seems like if I don't open it ill be okay. Hopefully someone with a little more experience can weigh in.

It'll be fine. As long as you ferment in that bucket, and then when fermentation is done and the brew is clear you bottle it, no worries at all. I'd say you're pretty safe for at least a couple of weeks.

I'd think you'd be ok. Like you said just don't open it up and lose that protective CO2 barrier. I probably would take the first hydrometer reading at the two week mark. If you were doing a 2.5 gallon secondary with a five gallon fermenter that would probably be a problem.

Having said this. I've never tried it so take for what it's worth.

Edit.. Yooper's fast!

If you force carb and have some CO2 handy, then its really a non-issue. You can always purge whatever your opening and testing.

If you don't keg, then just try not to slosh anything around when you open. CO2 is heavier than O2 and will stay between your beer and the nasty atmosphere for as long as it remains undisturbed.

I do it a lot. No problem from it. All the c02 generated pushes out the o2, so its no problem. Just don't open it everyday and don't attempt a secondary.

Thanks for the immediate and helpful responses. That's what I was thinking just wanted to make sure. So, if I wanted to add some dry hops I would be okay as long as I was quick about it?

Back