Have I ruined my beer!? - secondary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandphan

Reaction score
I recently started my first batch of beer. I am making a Rose Petal IPA. I recently siphoned into secondary 3 days ago. I steeped some rose petals and put them in a mushlin bag and into the carboy to float. I was worried about the carbonation from the rose petals because they were not sunk to the bottom of the brew. Today, I opened the carboy and attempted to sink the rose petals with a bag of sanitized marbles, but I failed and now I have a bag of marbles on the bottom of my carboy with the rose petals still floating.

There was some splashing around in order to get the rose petals to sink and of course I opened the lid of my carboy so it was exposed to oxygen. All in all, the lid was probably opened for about 5-7mins and some splashing around along this mission. I have read a lot of forums and discussions about oxygen and splashing post-yeast.

Have I just ruined my beer? What do you recommend I do from now on to not further ruin it?

Have I just ruined my beer? What do you recommend I do from now on to not further ruin it?

1) No, you haven't ruined it.
2) Wait for a while and bottle it.

Oxygenation after fermentation can lead to some off flavors, namely a wet, cardboardy flavor and can make it taste papery and bland in general. You'll lose some of those subtle flavors. Is it ideal? No Is it a deal breaker? Probably not. Is it a learning experience? Definitely!

You most likely didn't hurt your beer, but didn't do it any favors either. Oxygen exposure post fermentation is detrimental to be sure, although not to the extent that some would make it seem. Best advice IMO is to stay as hands off as possible at this point. Just let it ride

Latest posts

Back