have i done the wrong thing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daznz

Reaction score
Hi
I made a starter ..Wyeast Pilsner 2007 i had it sitting at 77f for 2days
I know these yeasts like to be colder by doing this would i have changed the flavor of the yeast
Thanks Daza

Daznz said:
Hi
I made a starter ..Wyeast Pilsner 2007 i had it sitting at 77f for 2days
I know these yeasts like to be colder by doing this would i have changed the flavor of the yeast
Thanks Daza

Are you worried about changing the flavor profile of the yeast or off flavors in the starter liquid?

I don't think that you can make a signigicant enough change in the flavor profile of the yeast by propagating warm. But I prefer to propagate lager yeast around 60F so they don't get used to warm fermentation temperatures. It just takes longer. And the yeast actually likes it warm, they just work slower and cleaner al lower temps.

But I would suggest that you let the starter ferment out and cool it down to pitching temp. Then you should definately decant the liquid and pitch just the yeast sediment. This way you don't have to worry about off-flavors in your starter.

Kai

Back