has anyone successfully made hard lemonade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ob111

Reaction score
I started some hard lemonade a week ago
it's finally going now
I have been reading stories about the tragic outcomes like tasting like furniture polish
Just wondering if anyone has had good results working with concentrated lemonade
and are there any tricks or is it luck of the draw

It's a tougher ferment, but it comes out just fine. The must is very acidic, so it takes some babying to get going, but it always works out in the end.

I have a batch of Lemonade Mead that I just kegged. Very light in flavor, great taste, easy brew. It did take a little longer to get going than other things I did at the same time but it is great. I may try adding one more can of Lemonade conc next time.

that's great to hear
I know it is a tough ferment I was going to dump it I thought it was a lost cause
but after a week I saw little bubbles in the lemonade rising up and the air lock started working
I guess my mistake is that my first batch of cider was apple
the second was peach which were both bubbling away in under 12 hours
my 3rd batch is the lemonade which did not follow suit with the other two
now I've got a batch of kiwi raspberry which also took a few days to start
but after the lemonade I've learned patients is the key
I guess it's safe to say the higher the acid content the longer it takes to start
thanks for the response hopefully I'll be sipping on an ice cold lemonade this summer then

If you followed the directions for the yeast starter, it starts up much faster. Like I said, it's been my toughest ferment, but it didn't take a week to start up. Once it gets going, it finished pretty quickly. If you take a look at my recipe, the instructions for getting it going are in there.

I have a batch of pear that isn't bubbling at all after 5 days, but I'm pretty sure it is fermenting. I have a hard time sealing my primary. First time that happened, I tested it and found out that it had been indeed fermenting. Don't trust your airlock - just use it as a tool, but it will lie to you.

Back