Has anyone grown Neomexicana hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are growing with great success. We sent cones from 38 vines out for chemical analysis. We will post the results.

These hops were harvested by the USDA in 2003 and determined to be native, not of European origin. I found them growing all over my property when I moved to Amalia in 2010 and have been separating, identifying and cataloging them since.

This is the first year my partners and I sent any out to be analyzed. But Taos Mesa Brewers used hops from my ranch in a beer they served called Cross Eye Ale that was wildly successful. They also used hops from 11 different vines collected from my property to compete in the Great American Beer Festival wet hops division last year.

I have some of this years harvest in the freezer that I am going to grind up. Look for us on the advertising site here. As soon as we are ready to presale we will be advertising.

Cheers
Ceilidh Creech

Have you contacted Todd Bates? It looks like he's laid a lot of groundwork in respect to what you're into and might be able to help you with all the knowledge he's gained over the years developing the varieties he's released. http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...20+&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a It could save you YEARS of work by contacting him. Hoppy Trails~

The neo1 hops did really well for their fist year in south eastern Michigan!!

Probably got 1/3 ounce dry total. but I planted it pretty late and it started off really tiny and weak looking, but it put out a bunch of bushy bright light green hops. I also grew some cascades with about the same harvest and plan to do a small batch and use all the homegrown for a late boil and dry hopping to see what they bring to the table. Impressed and excited fort the years to come.

B9jq9su.jpg

PHLXNfp.jpg

I contacted him 3-1/2 years ago. I almost decided against pursuing the hops biz after our talk. But thanks for the thought.

I suppose that this hops business is pretty "cloak and dagger" stuff to some folks. lol In fairness, I am told he did a lot of work with Neo. And it is better that he chose not to be involved in our project. We want to keep our vines in this community where it flourishes in it's native habitat. It appears that Todd is more interested in relocating the vines. I dunno.

Anyway, we forged forward and since we live in Amalia we Trademarked Amalia Hops, formed an llc named Amalia Hops and built a website named Amalia Hops. We later discovered that Todd took the sample (which he named Amalia) from our community. It is the hops that is listed online as being used in a beer brewed by Stone Brewers.

At any rate, we have all of these great hops growing in their natural environment. Volcanic Riverbed at 8100-9000 feet altitude.

We have more than 300 vines collected from over 40 different locations in this valley. Because I was told that each hop seed is unique and will not necessarily produce the same characteristics as the "mother" I threw 120 baby vines out that I had grown from seed. Kicking myself for that. We are planting more than 1000 seeds this fall. Who knows what we'll get?

Here are the Lab results from samples we took 38 vines from our ranch. Would've liked to have tested all 300+ but it was a little cost prohibitive since we fund everything cash and carry from our personal funds. Ouch!

Hops Lab Results 3.jpg

I contacted him 3-1/2 years ago. I almost decided against pursuing the hops biz after our talk. But thanks for the thought.

I suppose that this hops business is pretty "cloak and dagger" stuff to some folks. lol In fairness, I am told he did a lot of work with Neo. And it is better that he chose not to be involved in our project. We want to keep our vines in this community where it flourishes in it's native habitat. It appears that Todd is more interested in relocating the vines. I dunno.

Anyway, we forged forward and since we live in Amalia we Trademarked Amalia Hops, formed an llc named Amalia Hops and built a website named Amalia Hops. We later discovered that Todd took the sample (which he named Amalia) from our community. It is the hops that is listed online as being used in a beer brewed by Stone Brewers.

At any rate, we have all of these great hops growing in their natural environment. Volcanic Riverbed at 8100-9000 feet altitude.

We have more than 300 vines collected from over 40 different locations in this valley. Because I was told that each hop seed is unique and will not necessarily produce the same characteristics as the "mother" I threw 120 baby vines out that I had grown from seed. Kicking myself for that. We are planting more than 1000 seeds this fall. Who knows what we'll get?

Here are the Lab results from samples we took 38 vines from our ranch. Would've liked to have tested all 300+ but it was a little cost prohibitive since we fund everything cash and carry from our personal funds. Ouch!

Have you just been collecting seeds from wild plants, or have you been planting males as well and collecting open-pollinated seed from your own bines?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Also, what are you doing from a cultural management standpoint? Are you fertilizing, irrigating, etc? Or are they all stand-alone, best vine wins?

Drinking the Sierra Nevada Harvest ale with Neomexicanus hops and love it. I would really like to try to grow some of the multihead variety at home. Anyone have any rhizomes to trade or tips on who to ask?

I currently grow cascade, centennial, chinook, and Columbus and would be happy to trade rhizomes or harvested hops for a Neomexicanus rhizome. Thanks!

Bill

Also drinking and am impressed by the Sierra neo wild hopped and also looking for the neo rhizomes whether they be neomexicana multihead or medusa (that one may be trademarked)

I have NEO1, Amalia and multihead. The multihead is my least favorite of the 12 varieties I do grow.. I live at about 350ft elevation zone 7a.. Toledo Wa. I am going to let it just ramble this year rather than force it up a line. I grow organic and have had no trouble with any of my hops getting mildews etc.. the NEO1 would be my first choice if I wanted to grow hops in a large planter.. and Amalia has a GREAT fragrance..but why all the hype on multihead ??? .. maybe you can do a better job of replicating how and where they grow.. for now I will not cull it out, but I am not going to mass plant it.

Neomexicanus is from New Mexico (hence the name). It grows naturally in elevations of around 8100-9000 feet. The growing season is 4 months.

Amalia NM is where the hop named "Amalia" was harvested. For comparison, I have created a Climate Statistic chart comparing Yakima to Amalia:

Amalia Yakima
Average Humidity: 80 76
Wind 16 7
Lat/Long 37N/105W 47N/121W
Days Sun 310 109
Days Growing Season 95 195
Elevation 8,146 1,093
Precipitaion (1 in or more) 31 10
Inches Snow 37 25

They do not grow tall here in their native environment, maybe because of the high winds here, maybe the short growing season. But they have a much shorter internode distance than the European hops, so they produce just as many cones, if not more.

The soil here is black. Very fine and drains well. This is a volcanic riverbed valley. I read in the 2013 annual report from UNM Farmington that the soil in which hops grow, just as with grapes, determines the brewing characteristics.

My partners and I are in the process of identifying, isolating, cataloguing and testing samples from well over 300 vines that are growing on our properties here in Amalia. We are not selling anything at this time. We are still in R&D. But if you are interested you can go to our website to see the results from 38 vines we tested this year. www.amaliahops.com

Also drinking and am impressed by the Sierra neo wild hopped and also looking for the neo rhizomes whether they be neomexicana multihead or medusa (that one may be trademarked)

Multi-head and Medusa are the same. Medusa was just a better name.

The neo1 hops did really well for their fist year in south eastern Michigan!!

Probably got 1/3 ounce dry total. but I planted it pretty late and it started off really tiny and weak looking, but it put out a bunch of bushy bright light green hops. I also grew some cascades with about the same harvest and plan to do a small batch and use all the homegrown for a late boil and dry hopping to see what they bring to the table. Impressed and excited fort the years to come.

Jonnysoups, I'm on the west side of Michigan just north of Grand Rapids. I'm trying to get my hands on some Neo1 rhizomes. I'm glad to see they are growing in this climate. Any words of wisdom?

Are these available for pre-order anywhere?

I got two Neo1 rhizomes last year and planted them in eastern Massachusetts. One didn't take but the other one did *very* well. I'm looking to try again with another one this year but I'm striking out trying to find a supplier. Last year you could find both Neo1 and Amalia rhizomes but this year they are nowhere to be found.

Any ideas?

Are these available for pre-order anywhere?

I got two Neo1 rhizomes last year and planted them in eastern Massachusetts. One didn't take but the other one did *very* well. I'm looking to try again with another one this year but I'm striking out trying to find a supplier. Last year you could find both Neo1 and Amalia rhizomes but this year they are nowhere to be found.

Any ideas?

I had the same issue as you: one lived, one didn't. I'm also having the same problem with suppliers. I'm wondering if it's just early, and maybe they'll become available as we get closer to planting season. Otherwise I'm probably gonna have to clear it out for a different variety.

I had the same issue as you: one lived, one didn't. I'm also having the same problem with suppliers. I'm wondering if it's just early, and maybe they'll become available as we get closer to planting season. Otherwise I'm probably gonna have to clear it out for a different variety.

If you are looking for the same variety... you can do bine cuttings of your surviving plant if you are not able to find a rhizomes supplier. They are pretty easy to root.

If you are looking for the same variety... you can do bine cuttings of your surviving plant if you are not able to find a rhizomes supplier. They are pretty easy to root.

I'm hoping it doesn't come to that. This will only be its second year, and I'd really like to let the crown grow out a bit before I begin chopping it up. But I will if I have to.

I'm hoping it doesn't come to that. This will only be its second year, and I'd really like to let the crown grow out a bit before I begin chopping it up. But I will if I have to.

Even if it's only a second year plant, you will probably have to prune a couple of bines to keep only 2 or 3 bines. Those are perfect for expansion. :)

A little tutorial there. Instead of putting them directly in soil, I prefer to root them in water... it takes around 10 days to get the roots, then I move them into soil.

Does any one know where I can buy a amalia hop rhizome I have been searching with no luck and would like to get my hands one some soon

Jonnysoups, I'm on the west side of Michigan just north of Grand Rapids. I'm trying to get my hands on some Neo1 rhizomes. I'm glad to see they are growing in this climate. Any words of wisdom?

You might want to email cap'n' cork, the lhbs I got mine at, and see where they got their stock last year.
It grew like a weed last year, so we'll see what it looks like, I might be able to split it up after a few feet of snow melt...

Even if it's only a second year plant, you will probably have to prune a couple of bines to keep only 2 or 3 bines. Those are perfect for expansion. :)

A little tutorial there. Instead of putting them directly in soil, I prefer to root them in water... it takes around 10 days to get the roots, then I move them into soil.

Thanks for the tip on rooting them in water. I was experimenting with propagation last year, proably too late in the season but I had one Neo1 bine that I just stuck in a pot of soil and it did quite well. I even got a flower off of it!

I've been away on other pursuits for a while and just saw this thread. I have found plants in the Jemez mtns. mostly males and a few female. growning on slopes above streams at about 8000 feet. a buddy made a berr from them a few years ago and it was very good.I got a few pics, very few without me in them, since my wife took them.

jemez 105.jpg

jemez 106.jpg

jemez 110.jpg

Also looking for neo1 only place I can find them is Great Lakes Hops but I think they only sell live plants in bulk

Agreed. I've been looking as well with no luck. I'd be more than willing to pay someone for shipping via PayPal to mail me a rhizome.

I used to try this every year, I never got a single piece to take root. I propagate mine with springtime root prunings, I almost never have one fail.

Did you cut them first or something? Basically you just take a new shoot or two and lay them down and cover with some soil or compost. After a few weeks, that part under the soil will have formed roots and you can sever it from the crown with a spade. Leave it there for a few days to let it recover from the shock (if there is any) and then replant.

I think the book I had suggested cutting the bines into 6" pieces in the fall after harvest and covering them with soil for the winter. It should work here because our winters are relatively mild. I do pull a lot of new shoots and plant them, that usually works, but my failsafe method is root pruning. Looking at my hops yesterday I've got a lot of pruning to do soon.

I've also seen references to the advice in that book and it really doesn't make much sense. In the fall, the vines are in the process of dying back and no matter what you do, they'll continue to die back to the crown (any buds at the nodes will also continue to die off). [First year seedlings may be the exception as I've seen buds which have formed along the vine (a foot above the crown) that have remained viable the following spring?] In the spring, it's just the opposite as the stored up energy in the crown is being transformed into above ground growth. But, if you can take some of that above ground growth (the new shoots) and force it to grow underground for a certain length of time, the cells along those shoots will tend to form underground structures (roots & buds) rather than aerial structures (leaves & sidearms). This is essentially the way rhizomes are formed over the growing season but because the buds they originate from are located very deep on the crown, they grow the entire season underground and never break the soil surface. If they're not pruned on a yearly basis, a year or so down the road they may eventually pop up a few feet away from the crown. This is where the horror stories about hops taking over someones property come from. Hope all this blather makes some sense. Hoppy Trails~

No luck on Neo1 rhizomes for me either. My supplier from last year isn't offering them. Maybe the growers are going every other year on the Neo?

This is what Todd had to say when I asked him why they were going to be in short supply this year: "For now, let's just say that the neo's are exploring new latitudes, attitudes, elevations, and increased acreage." He didn't patent them, but is working with a grower in WA who is working with some cooperators that apparently are testing some new locations to see how they'll grow. Stay tuned~

I actually picked up a two Neo1 on eBay from a lady in the southwest about three years ago. The vines are very vigorous and have a unique, almost marijuana-like leaf shape. Here in the northern SF Bay Area, they do very well and are by far the least troublesome of the varieties that I grow. Really unique cone and bracht shape as well. Its visually unmistakable. I haven't actually brewed with them myself but have given most away to friends and they've ended up using them in some really tasty Saisons and Wheat Beers. They definitely are on the lighter side but have a great lemon/light herbal aroma and flavor.

That's probably the easiest/most fool proof way of propagating hops. Have you done this before?

Yeah, I propagated 4 bines last year for growing in the mountains at a friends house they are all doing very well. I didnt think they would do as well as they did but I just buried them and after a couple weeks trimmed the tip of the shoot and kept doing that until it bushed out then this spring i just cut the bases of them and transplanted. all 4 took off lovely. The wild neo mex have actually surpised me, I have shoots coming out of the side of the pots so they must have done well enough to shoot out some runners and start self propogating hopefully next year if these hops are good i will have some rhizomes for the community.

I planted 2 rhizomes back in 2014, they got about a foot tall, withered and died. They were no-shows last year, but this year they are back and doing well. We had a Christmas blizzard that piled a couple of feet of snow on my hop garden for a couple of weeks, maybe that's why they came back from dormancy. All my plants are slow this year, even my prickly pear cacti haven't bloomed. Normally I start harvesting Cascades in May, but this year they are barely a foot tall.

Greatlakeshops is currently selling field-grade Neo1, Multihead, Amalia, and Willow Creek with NO MINIMUM ORDER.

Just ordered 2 Neo1s and 2 Multihead yesterday, cant wait to try these out!! Im hoping they like the TX sun.

Back