Has anyone grown Neomexicana hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got 4 Amilla and 2 Neo's, the neos were twice as big but had fewer sprouts. Still, they had root so I think they'll be OK.
I ordered 4 Neo's but only got the 2 and a store credit for the price of the others. If they do well I'll probably have a few small root trimmings to sell or trade next spring.

Just got mine as well, 2 each of Neo-1 and Amilla. Now it's time to see how they stand up to wet heat!

I just went for a wild hop hunt, and was quite successful. Got a few rhizomes and there was an established plant surrounded by a few other established plants. I will post pics of it all tomorrow. These were found in the Sacramento's in a valley.

Hopefully they will take and maybe make some good hops. who knows.

Its a female, I didn't see any males. all seemed like one big plant that has spread out for god knows how long. Found some old cones, were pretty small but I figure its because it hasn't rained much here. The yellowed cones still smelled good, but its hard to gauge on something that has been baking in the sun for 8 months. Still bitter too.

I just went for a wild hop hunt, and was quite successful. Got a few rhizomes and there was an established plant surrounded by a few other established plants. I will post pics of it all tomorrow. These were found in the Sacramento's in a valley.

Hopefully they will take and maybe make some good hops. who knows.

Its a female, I didn't see any males. all seemed like one big plant that has spread out for god knows how long. Found some old cones, were pretty small but I figure its because it hasn't rained much here. The yellowed cones still smelled good, but its hard to gauge on something that has been baking in the sun for 8 months. Still bitter too.

Hopefully they will be successful. In couple of years maybe we can do a rhizome swap. I live down in SoCal.

That's cool that you were able to find some in the Sacramento's. Did you find them near a creek or some other year-round water source?

I'm going to check the Jemez and see if I can find some growing there as well. I want to pick some wild cones this fall and would really like to collect them from multiple locations. It would be cool to make a couple beers with wild hops picked from different locations to see if there are noticeable differences.

My native plant is doing pretty well. One bine is about 18" long and is starting to go up twine. With any luck, I'll be able to clip off a rhizome or two next year in exchange for some other variety.

May1.jpg

That's cool that you were able to find some in the Sacramento's. Did you find them near a creek or some other year-round water source?

I'm going to check the Jemez and see if I can find some growing there as well. I want to pick some wild cones this fall and would really like to collect them from multiple locations. It would be cool to make a couple beers with wild hops picked from different locations to see if there are noticeable differences.

My native plant is doing pretty well. One bine is about 18" long and is starting to go up twine. With any luck, I'll be able to clip off a rhizome or two next year in exchange for some other variety.

They weren't in a creek, but they were in what seemed to be a drained out area in a steep valley of a mountain. it was mostly rocky so I assume that most of the soil had been cleaned off the top leaving a nice rocky embankment. I looked around for awhile and ended up seeing the tell tale signs of them. I was looking for light foliage trees and bushes with vines growing up them. Some of the small elderberry trees were completely overgrown with old yellow vines and old hops. I mostly just took some small off shoots that had a few bines and leaves on them 2-3. except for one larger one that was easier to get to.

dbq75HA.jpg

This one is in too small of a pot but i want its root structure to get back to snuff before i throw it in the ground.
Wge5YA5.jpg

there is another rhizome in this pot as well, not sure how well its gonna do but we will see.

I cant help but notice that this specific plant has 5 very sectioned, pointy leaves...

I dropped by the LHBS yesterday and they had a few more rhizomes left, so I got the last two Neo1 and put them in the ground in SE MI yesterday. Maybe a little late and possibly not the best climate, so we'll see what happens.

I dropped by the LHBS yesterday and they had a few more rhizomes left, so I got the last two Neo1 and put them in the ground in SE MI yesterday. Maybe a little late and possibly not the best climate, so we'll see what happens.

They should be good. There is still enough time left in the season.

Well the neo mexicanus are doing a lot better. Thriving with all this 100f weather and enough water. Lost 2 during a transplant. But still have the bigger ones.

1402772980657.jpg

Mine are doing great too. I have the plucked-from-Placitas Neomexicanus in one pot and it is doing way better than my Cascade, Columbus, Centennial, and Mt. Hood plants. I guess it makes sense that the one from a few miles away is growing better than the ones from the Washington/Oregon region, given the excessive dry heat and winds we've been experiencing.

I have an experimental Neo-1 that I am growing and it is doing very well for a 1st year here in St. Louis!

I am growing Neo-1 in Southern California. It started slowly, but has taken off recently. It seems to like this really hot weather once it gets established.

Let me know how it does. I am planning on growing the neo-1 next season also in St. Louis.

It has reached the top of 16 ft. ropes and is throwing sidearms and spurs. Doing really well. It is not exposed to full sun but more filtered sun.

I am growing Neo-1 in Southern California. It started slowly, but has taken off recently. It seems to like this really hot weather once it gets established.

Went camping along the Rio de Los Pinos in northern NM and got a good haul of wild hops. I imagine these are Neomexicanus as well since they are just growing along the river and there is no indication of intentional hop plants in the area. To me the fresh cones have a mix of lemon and pine scent.

Rio De Los Pinos Hops.jpg

Handful of Hops.jpg

Hop.jpg

Bagful.jpg

Went camping along the Rio de Los Pinos in northern NM and got a good haul of wild hops. I imagine these are Neomexicanus as well since they are just growing along the river and there is no indication of intentional hop plants in the area. To me the fresh cones have a mix of lemon and pine scent.

Those look magnificent, and I can't believe how big that leaf is(or how small your hand is)

It has reached the top of 16 ft. ropes and is throwing sidearms and spurs. Doing really well. It is not exposed to full sun but more filtered sun.

I think I will be add in a neo 1 for next year. I just need to figure out where I will plant it. hmmm

I am growing NEO1, Multihead and Amalia, this is their 2nd year, the multihead is the only one of the three that I am not liking... NEO1 I am considering for a 80 ft row.. I grow low trellis, the NEO1 has the best low laterals. I am in Toledo WA.

I ordered some Amalia rhizomes this year. Only 1 took off to form a healthy plant, but struggled a lot early on. I'm guessing I over watered it. All my other first year varieties(Mt. Hood, Willamette, Centennial, Columbus, Cascade, and Pacific Gem) were about 15 - 20 feet tall when the Amalia was only about 6 inches. I decided to give the Amalia something to climb and it absolutely went nuts from there. It went from 6 inches to about 15 feet in about 2 weeks and is now loading up with burrs. I almost wrote it off for the year, but it proved me wrong and now I'm expecting a decent harvest from it. It just amazed me with its aggressive growth once it started climbing. What is Amalia's flavor like? I've heard it might be good in something darker like a brown ale or porter?

Has anyone brewed with this year's round of new hops? What kinds of flavors are you getting? I'm really curious to know if this is something great, we are growing hops in SE PA and are looking to expand, possibly into new varieties. The ones I really like are all patented and unavailable...

The neomexicanus I found are doing well. Wasn't expecting to see hops this year but after a bout with magnesium deficiency. (Dead leaves that climbs upwards on the nine) but they are producing hops. This is the neo Mexicanus var 2 the var 1 is doing okay. The magnesium deficiency hit this one pretty bad. And var 3 died. Make sure you keep some Epsom salts around if this is a problem with all of the neomex.

1407868866581.jpg

I live in the hot, dry reaches of the Permian Basin of Texas and I just bought a house. I've never grown hops before, but these sound like winners for my climate.

So here are my questions:

Where would I get rhizomes of the Neomexicanus?

What time of year should I plan on planting?

Corky, if you happen by this thread, I'd love your advice. You know Midland/Odessa well enough to know what I'd be getting myself into.

I live in the hot, dry reaches of the Permian Basin of Texas and I just bought a house. I've never grown hops before, but these sound like winners for my climate.

So here are my questions:

Where would I get rhizomes of the Neomexicanus?

What time of year should I plan on planting?

Corky, if you happen by this thread, I'd love your advice. You know Midland/Odessa well enough to know what I'd be getting myself into.
I'm still hoping to get some native, non-hybrid New Mexico hops. Out of the 4 Amalies and 2 Neomexicanus I have one Neo still alive. Keep in mind that the wild varieties grow in the mountains, not down in the scorching desert where you and I live. But on the bright side Cascades do wonderfully down here.
BTW, do I know you? Are you a Basin brewer?:confused:

I'm still hoping to get some native, non-hybrid New Mexico hops. Out of the 4 Amalies and 2 Neomexicanus I have one Neo still alive. Keep in mind that the wild varieties grow in the mountains, not down in the scorching desert where you and I live. But on the bright side Cascades do wonderfully down here.
BTW, do I know you? Are you a Basin brewer?:confused:

I am a Basin Brewer, but I don't think we have officially met. We've interacted on a thread or two on her a few years back. I'm currently the secretary of the club, so I'm the guy responsible for the brewsletters always being late.

Down in the 33rd latitude in the desert I found that cascade, centennial, columbus, chinook, nugget, and glacier do well. Some showed stress herming, not alot but some, and i got more than a few ounces off of the first years each.

not to mention that with our long growing season im expecting the cascades to bloom again with the new growth that they are experiencing. I have them in full sun and drip watered. And they do great. the found neomexicanus are also doing well. but I will have to see about them next year.

Do we know what variety of neomexicanus the Sierra Nevada / Crazy Mountain beers used?

We are growing with great success. We sent cones from 38 vines out for chemical analysis. We will post the results.

These hops were harvested by the USDA in 2003 and determined to be native, not of European origin. I found them growing all over my property when I moved to Amalia in 2010 and have been separating, identifying and cataloging them since.

This is the first year my partners and I sent any out to be analyzed. But Taos Mesa Brewers used hops from my ranch in a beer they served called Cross Eye Ale that was wildly successful. They also used hops from 11 different vines collected from my property to compete in the Great American Beer Festival wet hops division last year.

I have some of this years harvest in the freezer that I am going to grind up. Look for us on the advertising site here. As soon as we are ready to presale we will be advertising.

Cheers
Ceilidh Creech

Neo's we have on our property and other ranches in our area are growing in Volcanic Riverbed Soil, (very black and loamy) usually near a water source but not in areas of standing water at an elevation of 8000+feet above sea level.

They do not like a lot of water. In the wild they tend to grow on slopes. I suggest treating them as you would roses.

I mound mine and gravity irrigate, so the water runs past them in little water ditches. Their foliage only gets wet if it rains. They seem to be happy this way and have huge yields of oily smelly cones.

Latest posts

Back