2016 SD Hop Garden

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine have taken off in San Diego too. Already had to cut some back that were two feet tall. Some are that big again! Thinking I'll get some on lines earlier this year since they don't seem to like being completely cut back multiple times. I'll go out and take a picture.

Everybody looks happy and healthy! We're in the same boat up here. Cut most everyone back and propagating the cuttings. The spring cycle of hops life continues! We'll be stringing up lines soon, these guys are off and running. Happy Growing!

My columbus hops are off to the races. Unfortunately with all the rain this winter and poor draining soil apparently, I lost a cascade to root rot. New cascade should be here in a few weeks along with a willamette. Just moved to a new place and my hop growing area gets a solid 8 hours of sun a day so it should be good

@cram is that a real turtle? Or a statue? haha

Kev211, it's a real tortoise, aka a solar-powered lawn mower! Shoot me a pm if you're in the SD area and need a Cascade rhizome-think I still have some in the fridge.

Kev211, it's a real tortoise, aka a solar-powered lawn mower! Shoot me a pm if you're in the SD area and need a Cascade rhizome-think I still have some in the fridge.

For real!? Ya I'd def take one. Pm sent

I think I have two centennial in the fridge as well I got from Yakima if any of y'all in SD are interested. I only have room for three plants and they didn't make the cut.

Getting close to the solstice, so its about time for an update. The growth has really suffered due to our very mild / cloudy spring months, but as June has started pushing more heat (and longer daylight hours) were starting to get there quickly.

hops-6-19-17.jpg

As you can see, I am playing with a trellis net for the NeoMex hops over a pergola as a shade structure / screen of green.

Multihead: The multihead hops hit the top of the trellis and now the end of the pergola and are being spread across the screen as they begin to burr up. While a bit of a PIA to arrange the bines / sidearms, the screen certainly works as a way to spread the growth out and really get some good sunlight for the plant / shade for the hammock.

Willow Creek: The willow creek has just sprung back to life after its May 30th cut back / spring cone harvest. I was able to pull a single freezer bag of hops off the plant in spring, not bad, but not really worth the effort.

Alpharoma: This plant probably should have been cut back with the others, but it obviously requires less daylight (similar to the Multihead) than some other varieties to get going.

All of the following hops were cut to the ground around the last week of May.

Zenith: Is starting growth much earlier than last year and will probably be kept around after all. Its still a bit slower than the other plants, but at least we're not waiting till mid July for vegetative development like last year.

Cascade: Is (as expected) quickly becoming a monster of a plant. I ended up cutting this one back despite previous vegetative development to see if it had an effect on harvest times / overall development given the shorter day length common in southern California.

Columbus: Yet again, the Columbus is taking forever to launch. I believe this plant is a bit less interested in working with the shorter day length in southern California. When it does finally get going (around July 1st) it shoots to the moon and yields well, but its late emergence ruins the aesthetic of my hop tunnel. As you might have guessed, there is a strong chance of this plant being rotated out.

Newport: bushy, bushy newport has just started to rebound after the late season cut back. Its very happy and easily one of the most robust growers I have. I pulled numerous shoots/rhizomes off the plant this year to keep it contained to a crown. My efforts have been rewarded with about 20 new shoots coming off the crown - so much for crown maintenance. :D

Southern Brewer: Has developed at rapid rate since being hacked back and is already at the top of the lines / being wrapped all over the place.

Southern Cross: Is doing much better this year. Its a little behind the NeoMex, SAfrican, NZ hops, but is still quite speedy.

Back