has anyone bottled in a one gallon jug?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are looking for trouble. Gal jugs aren't meant to hold bottle carbing pressures.

I agree. Only containers that carbonated beverages come in (beer, soda, champagne) can be safely used. Putting a carbonated beverage in a wine jug or milk jug can be downright dangerous. Don't do it!

Use less priming sugar & drink more quickly than normal. You're asking for trouble but i've done it in a pinch. Giv a week & drink up. If u check it daily you'll be waiting forever.

Well how about this. Using a counterpressure filler and bump up the Co 2 so it could still be carbonated around Med to high mouth feel

Not sure you should prolly listen to those guys but I've done it in gallon and half gallon growlers with good results use Teflon tape to seal the cap and I'd prolly use an ounce or a little less than

You'd use 1/5th what you'd use for your normal 5 gallon batch, duh :)

I've done 1L Pellegrino bottles when I first started due to not having enough regular bottles. They worked out fine.

DannPM said:
You'd use 1/5th what you'd use for your normal 5 gallon batch, duh :)

I've done 1L Pellegrino bottles when I first started due to not having enough regular bottles. They worked out fine.

With less headspace, you would not need the same amount of priming sugar. Just like you use 1/2 the amount of pruning sugar when you keg as opposed to bottling.

I tried using a Carlo Rossi jug once for primary fermentation on a sample batch. It worked pretty well until the airlock got clogged and the sound of an explosion came from the garage. There was some serious force behind that. Ground zero hardly had any beer at it. That was a mess to clean up.

If you do try bottling I would use less sugar per gallon and put it in a protective container just in case it explodes. If you have a spare fridge maybe you could put your potential bomb in there. The colder the temperature the higher CO2's miscibility.

If you had a beer ready to go in a keg, I don't think there's a reason you can't use it as a large growler.

Tried it with my first batch of beer back in high school (figured out the purchase of ingredients didn't have an age requirement :mug:). My girlfriend ended up with a closet full of beer and shards of glass. The gallon jug was all I lost, but it was 1/5 of that batch. Don't do it.

Back