Has anybody ACTUALLY done a sucessful stout using kveik yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BreweyMcHops

Reaction score
Im seeing the results from kveik vary a little from the stories. Has anybody actually done a stout with kveik , and if so details please?
Stouts dont ferment OUT in 36 hours but they may drop a lot at the start with kveik , but what about the kveik orange/citrus does it come through if you pitch say 5 or 6 g of dried kveik?

I brewed a dry stout over the summer with Omega HotHead that turned out very good. Fermented uncontrolled at room temp (ambient in mid 70's) for 10 days, cold crashed, kegged and was drinking 17 days from brew day. I easily could have been drinking this 2 weeks after brew day.

For a 2.5 gallon batch:
2.5lb Maris Otter
1.5lb flaked barley
0.5lb black barley
28.3g EKG 60min
OG 1.034 (really bad efficiency, it was 2nd brew with a new system and I was still dialing it in)
FG 1.007
60 minute mash @ 152

Water adjusted to the following;
Calcium 50.5ppm
Magnesium 10.9ppm
Sodium 14.0ppm
Sulfate 56.8ppm
Chloride 43.7ppm
Bicarbonate 80ppm
pH 5.40
with my water I only add gypsum, calcium chloride, epsom salt and lactic acid

Looking back at my notes I did not pick up any orange or citrus (or at least not enough to write down). I really liked this one but did note that the body was less than I wanted - next time I brew this I'll up my mash temp to 154 or 156. With St. Patrick's day coming up, I think I'll rebrew it this week.

I have done several successful stouts and imperial stouts with lallemand voss kveik over the last six months, though can't say as I noticeably perceived any of the orange/citrus notes in any of them. They all fermented very well and I will continue using this yeast for stouts in the future when I am not specifically chasing attributes from other yeasts.

Haven't done a stout with kviek yet, but I have done several SMaSH ales and can tell you if you want to avoid the citrus esters you can ferment at lower temps and/or increase the amount pitched.

I’ve had a 5gal, lightly hopped mosaic IPA ferment at 80f with an 11g packet of lallemand come out very clean. Same beer, 5g same yeast fermented at 98f had considerable orange notes.

I brewed a dry stout over the summer with Omega HotHead that turned out very good. Fermented uncontrolled at room temp (ambient in mid 70's) for 10 days, cold crashed, kegged and was drinking 17 days from brew day. I easily could have been drinking this 2 weeks after brew day.

For a 2.5 gallon batch:
2.5lb Maris Otter
1.5lb flaked barley
0.5lb black barley
28.3g EKG 60min
OG 1.034 (really bad efficiency, it was 2nd brew with a new system and I was still dialing it in)
FG 1.007
60 minute mash @ 152

Calcium 50.5ppm
Magnesium 10.9ppm
Sodium 14.0ppm
Sulfate 56.8ppm
Chloride 43.7ppm
Bicarbonate 80ppm
pH 5.40

Looking back at my notes I did not pick up any orange or citrus (or at least not enough to write down). I really liked this one but did note that the body was less than I wanted - next time I brew this I'll up my mash temp to 154 or 156. With St. Patrick's day coming up, I think I'll rebrew it this week.

Must have been disappointed you only hit 1.034 OG , I would have been playing around with the hydrometer " cmon

For a 2.5 gallon batch:
2.5lb Maris Otter
1.5lb flaked barley
0.5lb black barley
28.3g EKG 60min
FG 1.007
60 minute mash @ 152

Calcium 50.5ppm
Magnesium 10.9ppm
Sodium 14.0ppm
Sulfate 56.8ppm
Chloride 43.7ppm
Bicarbonate 80ppm
pH 5.40

float damn you FLOAT!"

For a 2.5 gallon batch:
2.5lb Maris Otter
1.5lb flaked barley
0.5lb black barley
28.3g EKG 60min
FG 1.007
60 minute mash @ 152

Calcium 50.5ppm
Magnesium 10.9ppm
Sodium 14.0ppm
Sulfate 56.8ppm
Chloride 43.7ppm
Bicarbonate 80ppm
pH 5.40

Interesting thanks! Pity about the low OG though , but it fermented out clean and nice huh?
Tell me, what exactly did you pitch dry flake straight from a pack and if so how many grams, or did you use harvested slurry?

Im starting to suspect for kveik in stout you don't underpitch or brew at 39 degrees , you pitch generously and brew closer down to low 20's . Also it dosen't ferment in a day or 2, it takes weeks.

Anybody else notice we have come the full circle? It sounds exactly like how you successfully brew stout with ANY yeast! 🤣🤣

I used Lutra on a mint porter. I fermented at about 70f. Og- 1.070, fg- 1.022.
Came out great. Honestly couldn’t tell the diff between clean ale yeast vs the kveik.

I did a Watneys cream stout clone, Opshaug Kveik , under pressure 15 psi first 2 days and then raised to 25psi. Temp 34 celsius held for five days and then cold crash and transfer.
Very clean no esters, tasted great on CO2 and then converted to Nitro. Will make again this week.
I just used half a packet for 30 litres. The other half I used in an Asahi clone.
Probably could have cold crashed sooner and maybe got it in the glass in a week.

I used Lutra on a mint porter. I fermented at about 70f. Og- 1.070, fg- 1.022.
Came out great. Honestly couldn’t tell the diff between clean ale yeast vs the kveik.
You meant mint as in you literally added mint to it? Just checking , or is "mint" an expression for " really good"

You meant mint as in you literally added mint to it? Just checking , or is "mint" an expression for " really good"
Actual mint leaves at flame out. I also have mint tincture I used on a mead. I added a tablespoon at kegging to bump up the flavor. Came out well enough to do again.
I used the Lutra because I brewed in early Dec and wanted it ready to drink by Christmas time.

Actual mint leaves at flame out. I also have mint tincture I used on a mead. I added a tablespoon at kegging to bump up the flavor. Came out well enough to do again.
I used the Lutra because I brewed in early Dec and wanted it ready to drink by Christmas time.
Mint.

Stout.

I see.

I think I'm beginning to understand this forum better now....

*deletes homebrewtalk app*

Im seeing the results from kveik vary a little from the stories. Has anybody actually done a stout with kveik , and if so details please?
Stouts dont ferment OUT in 36 hours but they may drop a lot at the start with kveik , but what about the kveik orange/citrus does it come through if you pitch say 5 or 6 g of dried kveik?

Okay, so I'm seeing that some of you associating orange/citrus aroma with kveik. No problem with that really, just let me clarify a few things:
Kveik is a collective term for norwegian farmhouse yeasts, so there will be plenty of them, but the first one which came into the market was Sigmund's Voss kveik, which indeed has massive orange aroma when fermented hot. But on the other side of the story, there are (now) more than 60+ kveiks collected and at least the half of them are available somehow and of course not all of them has orange aroma. For example there's Skare which has a more neutral profile than US-05 itself and capable of doing pseudo-lagers with quick turnaround. Or, if we talking about stouts: there's Espe which has a plum, cognac and floral aroma which is really great for stouts.

I find it perfectly acceptable in an imperial stout but i much prefer Irish ale yeast in me session stouts. Although i never have got any of the orange flavours people talk about perhaps due to high pitching rates.

Okay, so I'm seeing that some of you associating orange/citrus aroma with kveik. No problem with that really, just let me clarify a few things:
Kveik is a collective term for norwegian farmhouse yeasts, so there will be plenty of them, but the first one which came into the market was Sigmund's Voss kveik, which indeed has massive orange aroma when fermented hot. But on the other side of the story, there are (now) more than 60+ kveiks collected and at least the half of them are available somehow and of course not all of them has orange aroma. For example there's Skare which has a more neutral profile than US-05 itself and capable of doing pseudo-lagers with quick turnaround. Or, if we talking about stouts: there's Espe which has a plum, cognac and floral aroma which is really great for stouts.
Over a year down the track : how right you are. Yes at first we all thought all kveik was sigmunds voss. Interestingly I have a house strain I've been harvesting for almost 2 years ( bought it as sigmunds voss) and it has changed probably for the better it stopped 50% of the orange , it can tolerate lower gravity brews and make a 4.2% beer just fine ( originally it dosent do well in lower gravity wort) it makes a cleaner beer that let's the hops come through better, and it drops nice n clear . It just takes an extra day to hit FG.

I have a stout fermenting now with Omega Lutra. Dropped from 1.064 to 1.022 in 46 hours. Pitched yeast at around 85F and heated it to 95F. Krausen dropped after about 30 hours. I'll be adding a cocoa nib tincture and peanut butter flavoring to it when I keg.

https://share.brewfather.app/ABXugTLXDVOB41
I know it's late but...how did it go with the peanut butter?
I bet you find it would drop more points over the next 4 days , or did u bottle at that point?

I know it's late but...how did it go with the peanut butter?
I bet you find it would drop more points over the next 4 days , or did u bottle at that point?
I used the Brewer's Best Peanut Butter extract. I'm not sure if it contains any fermentables in it, but I don't think it does.

I added the extract into the keg along with the cacao nib tincture before I transferred the beer into the keg.

Back