Harvesting Simcoe/Citra Seeds from Packages of Leaf Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBRent

Reaction score
Has anyone attempted growing seeds found in packages of loose leaf hops?

I'm aware:
  • kilning probably killed the seeds
  • Who knows what the male plant was - no true breeding
  • It will be two years, at least, before I can see results
  • About half the seeds will be male

However, I figure there is nothing to be lost by trying. In a few years I may have some Simcoe-ish or Citra-ish hops to use in my homebrew.

I am accepting seed donations. :)

Thanks!

Brent

I doubt if the kilning temps are high enough to kill a hop seed. Seeds, in general, were designed to be able to withstand some pretty nasty environmental conditions such that that particular species can survive as time moves on.

The reason I say this is that I had a seed germinate from my compost pile in the mid-90's which produced an interesting hop. The pile included some kitchen scraps, but was mostly made up of spent brewing grains and hops. So not only did the seed survive the kilning process, but it also made it through the boil (most likely a late hop/knock-out addition). At that point in time, all my hops were growing off-site (about 10 miles away) from where I lived so the only thought I have is that it came from the spent hops.

If you find any, keep them in the fridge until Spring and then plant away~

I haven't bought any loose leaf hops, but I've always figured that the companies that sold hops kept them away from males, thus not getting fertilized. I mean I could be wrong, but I thought that selling hops with fertilized seeds in them diminished the quality for brewing and that was something they wanted to avoid. I don't really see why seeds would be there at all if they only focus on feminized plants.

They sure try (to keep the boys out), but plants will be plants and nature has a way. And yes, when hops are graded that's one thing the growers get 'dinged' for which lessens the quality rating. Through the years I've gotten a few pounds that were loaded with seeds but never really noticed any negative impact on the finished beers. Keep using pellets and you'll never have to worry!

Huh...ive never seen Seeds in any of my hops...but the big hops states like OR/WA/ID forbid you to bring rhizomes or plants in from out of state because their afraid of hop diseases and bad plants getting in and killing the industry.

Yes, some of the loose leaf hops I get have seeds in them. I notice the most when I clean out my filter. The loose hops stay in the muslin bags but the seeds are small enough they slip right out.

From what I've read some varieties of hops can change gender when stressed. Perhaps that is what happens out in the Simcoe and Citra hop fields?

I will let you know what happens.

ß!

Yes, some of the loose leaf hops I get have seeds in them. I notice the most when I clean out my filter. The loose hops stay in the muslin bags but the seeds are small enough they slip right out.

From what I've read some varieties of hops can change gender when stressed. Perhaps that is what happens out in the Simcoe and Citra hop fields?

ß!

Sounds like your dealers selling you shake :mug:

ß!

If the hops did develop seeds under some form of stress the seeds would not be able to germinate.

[...]From what I've read some varieties of hops can change gender when stressed.[...]

It's a true phenomenon, but it involves female plants suddenly sprouting male parts.
But everything I've ever read consistently claimed the male parts are not viable and can't pollinate a flower...

Cheers!

Well! We will find out!

I'm only investing time. I will already be futzing with the hops anyway. So, it is just another experiment out in the yard.

I have grown other hops from seeds. It is slow but rewarding. :)

IMAG0410_zpsb477fe95.jpg

Well! We will find out!

I'm only investing time. I will already be futzing with the hops anyway. So, it is just another experiment out in the yard.

I have grown other hops from seeds. It is slow but rewarding. :)

IMAG0410_zpsb477fe95.jpg

News? Results?

I'm going to enlist a farmer down here in Australia for a breeding program, be interested to hear your results.

Back