Stability of CTZ hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradleypariah

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The article below claims: "In storage, however, [Columbus] has little stability and must be processed into pellets or extracts almost immediately and placed into oxygen-free packaging; freezing alone is not enough to preserve it."

I grow Columbus. My plant is only a few years old, and I'm no growing expert; I packaged about a pound of hops this year. That was the beginning of August.

I used a "Presto Dehyro" electric food dehydrator on these hops until they felt papery, then I vacuum-sealed them with a "Seal-A-Meal". I wrapped the sealed bag in two layers of aluminum foil, and I store it in the freezer.

Am I good? Can I expect whole leaves to last at least a year without dropping in AA% in an unusually rapid way?

https://beerandbrewing.com/dictiona...k,,5.5% beta acids, and 30% to 35% cohumulone.

Have never heard that, but I have the Oxford Companion and refer to it pretty regularly and would trust it as a source. Of course, I only use pellets and extracts, so even if the instability of Columbus cones were something I read, I might not remember it.

Anyway, I think you've done the best you can - dry them, vacuum seal and freeze.

Back