Ammature Hop Breeding / Seed Trade?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legume

Reaction score
I am intrested in small (backyard) scale ammature hop breeding.

This year i harvested seeds of my first cross.... Amalia x Citrusy American Male

Amalia is a Neomexicanus variety, the male parrent is an unknown that I grew from purchaced seed; but its sisters were cascade like in their aroma.

It would be fun to trade some seeds with others intrested in this sort of thing.
If you have hop seeds from known parents (or at least known female parents), and are intrested in trading a few seeds...please PM me.

I would also be intrested in (viable looking) seed that you collected out of purchaced leaf hops.

It would be great to trade some seed, and share our experiences with growing them out and evaluating them.

I want!!

IMG_20170830_103928.jpg

IMG_20170807_093540.jpg

This year i harvested seeds of my first cross.... Amalia x Citrusy American Male

Amalia is a Neomexicanus variety, the male parrent is an unknown that I grew from purchaced seed; but its sisters were cascade like in their aroma.

It would be fun to trade some seeds with others intrested in this sort of thing.

If you have hop seeds from known parents (or at least known female parents), and are intrested in trading a few seeds...please PM me.

I would also be intrested in (viable looking) seed that you collected out of purchaced leaf hops.

It would be great to trade some seed, and share our experiences with growing them out and evaluating them.

There are not any "verified" hop seed dealers but you can easily (and commonly) find seeded hops in "whole cone/leaf" hops. You'll have the best luck with hops originating from the U.K. but can likely find them also in the U.S. or other European grown regions, albeit in lower quantities.

There are not any "verified" hop seed dealers but you can easily (and commonly) find seeded hops in "whole cone/leaf" hops. You'll have the best luck with hops originating from the U.K. but can likely find them also in the U.S. or other European grown regions, albeit in lower quantities.

I have intentionally bought whole leaf U.S. hops a few times just to look for seeds (I prefer pellets for brewing), but have never found any.

I might have to buy some U.K. leaf hops and try again!

I have found very few hop seeds in whole leaf hops from non-UK origin. 1-5/oz, typically, often none.

UK hops, though... ton of seeds.

I'd trade seeds with fellow amateur breeders, but I have no interest in neomexicanus genetics.

Hello, here are those beautiful babies!!

Attachments

• IMG_20180201_122825.jpg
    IMG_20180201_122825.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 161
  • IMG_20180201_122631.jpg
    IMG_20180201_122631.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 178

Your seeds have already started to bloom! :)

They are only 5 months old! from seed!

I'm going to cross them with a male from the center of Italy!!

Attachments

• IMG_20180514_133545.jpg
    IMG_20180514_133545.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 148
  • IMG_20180514_133636.jpg
    IMG_20180514_133636.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 147
So are they now.They have an intense aroma of peach and grapefruit. in some plants the cones are double.

Attachments

• IMG_20180618_125539.jpg
    IMG_20180618_125539.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20180618_125349.jpg
    IMG_20180618_125349.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_20180618_125422.jpg
    IMG_20180618_125422.jpg
    361.9 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_20180618_124627.jpg
    IMG_20180618_124627.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 80
Yanick74,

Your plants look great.
I am happy to see you getting cones so quickly from seed!
I have about 40 seedlings from the same cross planted in pots, but they do not look as nice as yours.

I think it's great people are breeding their own hops.

Where did you track down your original male rhizomes? Or do most people start from seeds they've found? I'd love to start experimenting with some crosses.

Cheers!

You can occasionally find seeds in whole leaf hops, especially UK ones, or from a few seed vendors. Germination tends to be poor, though. In whole leaf hops, they go to great pains to remove all oxygen... those seeds have living embryos, they need oxygen. Heating for the drying process can also be harmful. Ideally hops are not overheated to dry... but yea, things aren't always done as they should.

Still, it can get you going. Otherwise, I think many do some seed traders/swaps. I've traded seeds with a bunch of people. I'm all out for now, but I'll have a lot of fresh seeds in a few months. Harvest should be in october.

Great info. I tend to grow all my own hops so haven't bought hops for a while. Might have to try again.

Of the 40 plants grown out from seed (Amalia x ?) sown in Feb 2018, almost all of them flowered this summer; these are some precocious genetics. I selected 6 females that produced nice cones with intresting aromas, the rest were culled. The 6 will be devided and planted out in a couple of locations in 2019. Aromas are largely peach and citrus, i think there are probably 1 or 2 winners in the bunch.

I also made a cross between a precocious male from this population and Centennial. I will sow the 30 or so seeds i have from this cross in Feb.

Hello, I got some seeds from Amalia, maybe it’s yours, by the way.
I got a delicious female, the aromas just before maturity were very citrus, honey and Green tea.
then it became tropical with a very earthy olfactory return. young producer plant with an interesting yield (50 cones from the first year of germination, in a small pot)
I would be curious to know what gives the continuation of your own seedlings.
Amicalement, Sylvain

Back