Harvesting shoots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArcaneXor

Reaction score
Being in Florida, growing hops for the cones is pretty much a lost proposition, but I am interested in planting some rhizomes to harvest the shoots for cooking (supposedly, they taste somewhat like asparagus). A couple of questions regarding this...

1.) How many shoots does a young rhizome usually produce?

2.) Do the shoots only grow once per year, or do they keep coming up throughout the growing season?

My rhizomes put up about 3-4 shoots each initially. I did see a new one coming up yesterday when I was out watering, so it would appear that they'll continue to come up. Like asparagus though, I imagine you'll need to let most if not all grow the first year for healthy establishment.

1.) How many shoots does a young rhizome usually produce?

2.) Do the shoots only grow once per year, or do they keep coming up throughout the growing season?

The first year you may get anywhere from 1-2 up to as many as 10-15. After a year or two (if they are growing in a good environment) you'll have more than you know what to do with.

On older crowns, the buds that form deeper will take their time to come up and this will continue from late Feb/Mar until maybe the end of July in my location. For the first month or so you become inundated then things slowly calm down as some of the stragglers poke up throughout the summer.

Here's a vid on pickling hop shoots:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot for the responses. I am going to give this a shot with a pair each of Cascade and Willamette rhizomes.

Back