Harsh bitter aftertaste schwartzbier.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottG58

Reaction score
I transferred a Jamil's recipe from primary to secondary to lager for a month. All would be well but it has a bitter aftertaste. I know my stouts with that flavor mellow. Anyone have experience with schwartzbier to be able to tell me whether that is a normal green taste?

I'm not sure decocting roasted malts is a great idea... But I've never done it myself.

What was your grain bill? How much dark malt? As opposed to an ale yeast a lager yeast will jot produce any flavors that will hide the astringent dark malt flavors like a stout yeast would. I just kegged a Schwartz that was lagering for 5 months. Like yours mine was bitter early on too. One month for lagering may not be enough, that is precisely why I lagered mine for 5 months.

I did a modified schwartzbier that I hopped like an APA and added a pound of rye to. It was very astringent when young, but has mellowed very very nicely.

I brewed this one the Saturday before Christmas (so like 8 weeks ago), and it is just recently started to kinda mellow into a more commercial example of the style as far as the roasty taste.

Back